New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Sediment in Bell's Amber Ale?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2009, 06:43 PM   #1
JMSetzler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default Sediment in Bell's Amber Ale?

I'm posting this photograph that I just made of a glass of Bell's Amber Ale. I photograph beers like this when I plan to use them in my blog. The first thing I noticed when I poured this beer as the head settled in was a hanging sediment in the glass. You can easily see that in the photo here. I'm not used to seeing that in manufactured bottles of beer. Is this uncommon? I do not notice any odd flavor in the beer. It tastes as I would expect...

John Setzler
Hickory, North Carolina, USA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2009, 07:57 PM   #2
mikfire
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 20

To the best of my knowledge, all of Bell's products are unfiltered. I frequently consume their Pale Ale and Two Hearted and they have always been unfiltered. I also consume the Oberon in the summer, but that is a wheat ale and I would expect it to be unfiltered.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:39 PM   #3
JMSetzler
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfire View Post
To the best of my knowledge, all of Bell's products are unfiltered. I frequently consume their Pale Ale and Two Hearted and they have always been unfiltered. I also consume the Oberon in the summer, but that is a wheat ale and I would expect it to be unfiltered.
Good deal and thanks for the response. I got a bottle of the Oberon to try as well...

Old 01-02-2009, 09:07 PM   #4
shertz
Recipes 

....and they bottle condition which a lot do not. If you really want to see some stuff floating in your beer, grab a bottle of Smuttynose IPA....tons of floaties.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:54 PM   #5
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts

A lot of store bought wheat beers have sediment in the bottle.

Hell, a Hefe wouldn't be a Hefe without the hefe in the bottom of the bottle!

Old 01-03-2009, 03:37 AM   #6
JMSetzler
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I'm glad to find this out

Until recently, I kept my bottled beer purchases rather limited to 8 or 10 different selections. I had never encountered sediment from anything other than home brew...

Old 01-03-2009, 03:42 AM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3453

oh yeah I've brewed several batches with harvested Bell's yeast...I don't know WHAT it is, but it does work...It's a nice yeast to use when you are cloning a Bell's beer.

Actually if you think about it the majority of the world's beers are bottle conditioned...it's just that we are SO used to the dead and filtered macroswill in the market place...but that only account for a small segment of the beer population...

Look at this (by far not comprehensive) list of bottle conditioned beers in the world's marketplace....and it isn't even up to date, but it is the best that we have if we want to harvest.

Yeasts from Bottle Conditioned Beers

From that it says,

Quote:
Bell's Amber Ale
{1} Bottle conditioned. Same as Wyeast 1056/YeastLab A02 American Ale {1} Very clean flavour. Very high flocculation.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply