Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Secondary Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #1
WarWeazl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Secondary Question

I have family coming to town soon and I am kind of in a pickle. I when I missed my mash temp by several degrees, I corrected with boiling water, which I believe leached out tannin. There a strong tannin aftertaste now that my primary is done (Cream Ale). Now, the beer is still cloudy, so I am hoping that I am over obsessing about this and I just needs to sit. I want to cold crash it for a few weeks and use a combination of polyclar and gelatin finnings to try to save the beer, but I want to have a oatmeal stout in the process of fermenting too.

THE MAIN QUESTION -----> I was wondering if after fermenting the oatmeal stout in my fridge at 62*, I can let it sit in secondary in my house, which is about 76-78, while I am cold crashing my Cream Ale.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 10:12 PM   #2
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 327 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarWeazl View Post
I have family coming to town soon and I am kind of in a pickle. I when I missed my mash temp by several degrees, I corrected with boiling water, which I believe leached out tannin. There a strong tannin aftertaste now that my primary is done (Cream Ale). Now, the beer is still cloudy, so I am hoping that I am over obsessing about this and I just needs to sit. I want to cold crash it for a few weeks and use a combination of polyclar and gelatin finnings to try to save the beer, but I want to have a oatmeal stout in the process of fermenting too.

THE MAIN QUESTION -----> I was wondering if after fermenting the oatmeal stout in my fridge at 62*, I can let it sit in secondary in my house, which is about 76-78, while I am cold crashing my Cream Ale.
Unless your mash got above 170 degrees for long, you probably didn't get noticeable tannins.

But to answer your question - yes. Once fermentation is done on that oatmeal stout, you can let it sit at room temps to age, and it will be fine. It would probably be better if you could get it at cellar temps (in the 60s), but you're not going to hurt it with it in the 70s - provided, again, that fermentation is done.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale
WarWeazl Likes This 
Old 12-03-2012, 11:34 PM   #3
WarWeazl
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Thanks. I got tannins some how, ooo just like sucking on a tea bag

Old 12-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Reserve judgement til after its been bottled(or kegged) and conditioned,it may very well improve with time.How many brews have you tasted before bottling?

Old 12-04-2012, 12:04 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4453 Times on 3241 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Cold conditioning can help drop out tannins. But you'd have to start lagering the beer soon, and keep it very cold for at least several weeks. If you can do that, put the beer somewhere near freezing (but not freeze the beer!) you might find that it will taste much better after about 4 weeks.

Quick Reply