Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > To secondary or not this Chocolate Oatmeal Stout?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2010, 06:28 PM   #1
BlackDogBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default To secondary or not this Chocolate Oatmeal Stout?

I've pretty much always used a secondary for everything...
14 days ago I brewed a Chocolate-Oatmeal Stout recipe of my own design. The OG was 1.089, I checked the FG yesterday and it was 1.032. In hindsight, I probably should not have used the 1/2lb of maltodextrin plus the 1lb of lactose, which I'm guessing contributed to my high FG. There is very little activity in the airlock, but I still see the little "bursts" on top of the beer from time to time.
I'm wondering if I should just leave this go another week so that the beer can sit on the yeast, or if I should go ahead and secondary for a couple weeks. I've had several beers in the past that did not carbonate well because I let them settle out too long, i don't want that to happen. Initial tasting showed this to have a very roasty character that balanced out the sweetness. Recipe below.

Yeast
Wyeast 1084 Irish- 1-liter starter, plus additional Wyeast Irish pack

Hops- 1/2oz Cluster@60min
1/2oz Cluster@30min

Mini-Mash
1lb flaked oats
1lb 2-row

Steeping Grains
1/2 lb roaster barley
1lb chocolate malt
1lb black patent malt

Fermentables and sugars
7lbs Austin Dark Malt syrup
1lb lactose
1/2lb maltodextrin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2010, 06:41 PM   #2
Challenger440
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I come from the camp that tends to leave it in the primary for longer and skip the secondary altogether, but I would say leave it in the primary for at least another week if it is still showing signs of fermentation. I've never had carbonation problems.

I guess I should also throw in the typical question, have you had consistent hydrometer readings for at least 3 days?

Keg #1: Oatmeal Stout (WLP004)
Keg #2: Oatmeal Stout (WLP037)
Keg #3: Denny Conn's Bourbon Vanilla Porter
Keg #4: Empty
Bottled: Apfelwein, Scottish 60/-
On Deck: Simtennial Pale Ale

Old 12-19-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
Nuggethead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 13

If it were mine, I would leave it in primary a couple more weeks, I doubt there is any risk of difficulty in carbonating as thier should be more than enough yeast still in suspension after a month and you may gain a few more gravity points as well.. Sometimes, these types of beers take longer to carbonate anyway. I've had 2 batches ready to bottle a day apart, one was an APA, the other a Porter. The Porter took 2 weeks longer than the APA for the same level of carbonation. I had to gently rotate each bottle of Porter a couple times after the third week to help the process but at week 4 it was finished.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:52 PM   #4
BlackDogBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks for the advice; I've decided to let it sit another week or two in the primary since I'm still seeing a bit of activity. I've just never had one finish this high before so I was a bit alarmed.

Quick Reply