Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Secondary additions in a beer to be aged

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2010, 03:22 PM   #1
mullet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Secondary additions in a beer to be aged

I made a big barleywine sort of beer recently, and the recipe calls for dry hopping with 2oz of EKG and for the beer to be aged for 8 to 12 months.

Should I dry hop for the regular two weeks, bottle, and age in the bottles? Should I dry hop for two weeks, rack off it and age it in the carboy? Should I age it in the carboy and dry hop for the last two weeks? Should I dry hop for the entire 8 to 12 months?

I was also thinking that a bit of oak would probably be nice in this beer as well. And, I have the same questions about the oak too, when should I put it in, how long should I leave it, how much should I use?

Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2010, 03:28 PM   #2
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

well i can tell you what not to do. first you don't want to dry hop for 8-12 months unless you like grass flavored beer. i also wouldn't age my beer for 8-12 months in a secondary after dry hoping. by the time you bottle the hop aroma and flavor will be gone. as far as the rest of your questions i don't know. someone with more experience is going to have to answer them.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:26 PM   #3
CreeDakota
Recipes 

As for the oak chips I would recommend going small, maybe an ounce of medium toast/ 5gallons for two weeks. I am not sure the exact amount becuase it varies with how much surface area the chips are manufactured with, but I would halve the amount the manufacturer recommends for wine. With Barley wine I dont think french vs hungarian vs american will make much differnece So just get the cheapest.

I would probably dry hop/oak now, bottle in two weeks and condition in the bottle. Conditioning in the Carboy has more risk of oxidation.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:43 PM   #4
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Dry hopping will be a waste of hops unless you'll be drinking the beer within a month or so. I'd bulk age 6 months as is, add bourbon soaked oak cubes to the secondary and age another month, then dry hop and age 2 more weeks. Then taste and bottle. If anything seems wrong, age longer in the bottles.

Of course, I've been impatient lately so all of the above timeframes tend to get cut in half...

Old 04-28-2010, 05:45 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2726 Times on 1634 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I've been doing a lot of bigger bees with oaking lately (I use Jack Daniels Smoking chips, toasted in a cast iron pan for a bit, steamed and then soaked in bourbon.)

What I've been doing is racking it to a secondary for a week, then racking it off to a tertiary for however long I am bulk aging the beer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply