New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
ryno1981
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Secondary

Everyone I have talked to advise me to rack into a secondary after 5 or 6 days. Lately I've been reading on here that it is unnecessary unless you are adding fruit and stuff like that. Which should I do? I have an American pale ale that has been in the primary for four days now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I would leave it in primary for a couple more weeks then check the gravity and proceed from there.

Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:53 PM   #3
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 178 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 5

+1 to the above. No real need to secondary.

God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 530 Times on 396 Posts
Likes Given: 217

i'm one of those who says that most secondaries aren't necessary, and are more of a risk than a benefit. give you pale ale at least 2 weeks in primary (3 would be even better).

Drinking: a chocolate oatmeal stout, a belgian imperial stout, a Vertical Epic 09.09.09 clone
Fermenting: a split-batch belgian blond/saison
Aging: an oud bruin, a BDSA/Dubbel thingy, a soured Saison, my "Wild Oats" brett/sour, and some other stuff i can't think of at the moment...
Up next: who knows. maybe providing links to recipes for the above beers.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #5
PackerfaninSanDiego
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno1981 View Post
Everyone I have talked to advise me to rack into a secondary after 5 or 6 days. Lately I've been reading on here that it is unnecessary unless you are adding fruit and stuff like that. Which should I do? I have an American pale ale that has been in the primary for four days now.
who is "everyone"? Almost everyone in this forum will say what the previous two posters said. For your Ale, it will need to be in your primary for at least 2 weeks....check your gravity reading and make sure it has stopped and then bottle/keg.

You meet the nicest people on a Honda, wink!

Old 04-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1662 Times on 1467 Posts
Likes Given: 1138

What they're saying is that there's no way that ale is going to be done fermenting in 5-6 days. The quickest time I've had one get to FG was 12 days. And that was a Cooper's batch a couple years ago. Even my partial mash brews take about 3 weeks to finish fermenting & settle out clear or slightly misty before bottling.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
ryno1981
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I guess I was under the impression that you need to rack into a secondary before fermentation is done. That way it has carbon dioxide in the head space. The people that "have" told me to do so said it will keep the beer clear. Especially very hoppy beers.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:19 PM   #8
richlong8020
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I think it's preference. I like to secondary. I like to get the wort off the trub allowing secondary to help clarify the beer a little more, and then bottle. I like to have as little sediment in the bottle as possible. But that's just me because its hard to filter it out all that stuff only in primary then go straight to the bottle.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3451

This is the most asked and discussed topic on here, on a daily basis there are 5 or six treads on this.

This discussion has been thoroughly covered in this thread, it's become the "uber discussion" on this topic.

To Secondary or Not? John Palmer and Jamil Zainasheff Weigh In .

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #10
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1662 Times on 1467 Posts
Likes Given: 1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlong8020 View Post
I think it's preference. I like to secondary. I like to get the wort off the trub allowing secondary to help clarify the beer a little more, and then bottle. I like to have as little sediment in the bottle as possible. But that's just me because its hard to filter it out all that stuff only in primary then go straight to the bottle.
Not really. for me anyway,as I have spigots on my fermenters,set a bit higher than the one on my bottling bucket to allow room for trub/cold break.
And I strain all going into the FV,which gives less trub/yeast at bottling time,about 3/8-1/2" at 3 weeks. Clear beer going into the fermenter with a racking tube set onto the spout on the spigot going down around the bottom of the bottling bucket. After fridge time,most bottles have just a light dusting on the bottom.
The point being,give the yeast enough time to finish the job,settle out,& compact on the bottom of primary. Then dry hop or bottle.

Quick Reply