Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Second Fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 07:52 PM   #11
logan3825
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRGeorge View Post
There is also a lot of turbulence in there so there *could* still be some oxygen mixed up in the gasses. Certainly while the kreusen is still there the beer is more protected, but after it falls it becomes susceptible, particularly if the brewer succumbs to the urge to get his/her nose in there to give it a sniff. Over a two or three week period this oxygen *could* cause a problem. Same with airborne microbes. Not saying these *will* cause problems, but to feel more secure some brewers eliminate the possibility by minimizing head space.
Sanitizing well and leaving it alone seems easier to me than moving to minimize headspace. I don't keg or have CO2 on hand though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 02:16 AM   #12
RobertRGeorge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I forgot to mention one other reason some brewers rack to a secondary, and that is to get the beer off the cold break trub and yeast cake. Traditional German brewers often remove it for flavor reasons. The desirability of this has been debated for decades though.

For me the reason I use a secondary fermenter is that for stronger beers I like to age them quite a while and I prefer to do that in a carboy rather than let them sit in a primary fermenter on the initial spent yeast for 3 to 6 months.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply