Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Second batch in a row, flat and no head

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2012, 08:46 PM   #1
tsname
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Second batch in a row, flat and no head

Brewed a ginger saison recently, and a Chimay Blue Clone a few months back and they were both flat and had no head. For priming sugar, I use the Northern Brewer calculator and have been successful with prior batches.

I've noticed that the saison is a bit thin in body. I also experimented with open top fermentation with both batches, covering each bucket with voile cloth.

So I've narrowed down the issues on what I think may be the culprit, and I obviously could use some expert opinions:

- Open top fermentation
- Poor mash conversion (I use a cooler and screen as a mash tun, I notice that I'm up to 5*F lower than my target mash temp)
- Bad crush (I'm using my LHBS grain mill, maybe it needs to be re-calibrated?)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4481 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsname View Post
Brewed a ginger saison recently, and a Chimay Blue Clone a few months back and they were both flat and had no head. For priming sugar, I use the Northern Brewer calculator and have been successful with prior batches.

I've noticed that the saison is a bit thin in body. I also experimented with open top fermentation with both batches, covering each bucket with voile cloth.

So I've narrowed down the issues on what I think may be the culprit, and I obviously could use some expert opinions:

- Open top fermentation
- Poor mash conversion (I use a cooler and screen as a mash tun, I notice that I'm up to 5*F lower than my target mash temp)

None of those would cause poor carbonation in the bottle.

The only things that could cause this are:

1. Above the yeast ABV's tolerance, normally in a "big" beer
2. Dormant yeast, but that's more likely after a very lengthy lagering period
3. Inadequate priming sugar
4. Unmixed priming sugar- but then you'd have some bottles overcarbed and some undercarbed.
5. Too cool temperature in the bottle storage (under the yeast strain's fermentation temperature).

I don't like those priming calculators, but if you put, say, 4-5 ounces of corn sugar by weight in a 5 gallon batch it should be carbed up.

If they beers are not 10% ABV lagers, and they are all flat, it has to be either #3, or #5.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

See forgot the most common reason for uncarbed beer threads...

6) Not waiting long enough before declaring a problem.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-26-2012, 09:06 PM   #4
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 750 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 241

Had no head or had no carbonation. If there is no carbonation of course it won't form a head. If it carbonates and still has no head, expect to find your glassware or your bottles to have a soap residue. It doesn't take much to completely eliminate head forming. BTDT

Old 09-26-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
TheZymurgist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsname View Post

- Open top fermentation
You try buying her dinner first? Oh wait, you said "batch"
Old 09-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #6
Hamsterbite
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My last Saison took 3 weeks of conditioning before it carbed. I have another belgian that i just tried after 1 week, and looks like it's going to be the same deal. IDK why, but Belgian yeasts seem to need more time to bottle condition than other ales.

Sometimes the angels punish us by answering our prayers. -Peart

Next Brew: SWMBO's choice. Probably Saison.
Primary: Janet's Brown, Mulled Chamomile Cider/Perry
Secondary: Nada
Bottle Conditioning: Nada
Bottled and Ready: Hop in the Dark, Raison Detre, Hoppy Saison

Old 09-26-2012, 10:39 PM   #7
RedBeardBrewer
Recipes 

tsname,

Something I have run into that rarely gets mentioned is how you cleaned you bottles. If you have high levels of chlorine in your water, and you used that water to clean your bottles, there can be a residual trace left inside of them once the water dries. Depending on the level of cl2 coming into your source water, that trace amount may be potent enough to kill off the yeast in the beer you place in that bottle therefore preventing carbonation.

Chlorine has a half and dies off the longer it stays in water. When you brew/bottle/clean etc. you use a lot of water. The more water you run in your home the "fresher" the chlorine is coming into your home and that means it is stronger. I would check the chlorine in your water, and make sure to run the water for a good 10 mins before you test it to get an accurate reading.

It may be a long shot, but I hope this helps.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:11 AM   #8
tsname
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

@redbeard - that's definitely something I need to consider, I haven't noticed any odor or taste, but testing would be important.

@hamsterbite - makes sense, I should let the beer sit a while longer, Belgian yeast is quite an interesting creature.

@revvy - I for some reason thought bottle conditioning is ready in 2 weeks and not 3, so I definitely need to wait another week and then some

@all - thanks for the feedback, I'll definitely keep you posted on what happens in the next week and a half

Old 09-27-2012, 07:39 AM   #9
socalbrewer1796
Recipes 

Is there any signs of carbonation at all. Like lil bubbles shooting to the top but not strong enough to disrupt the surface. If your beer has these bottle conditioning is taking its sweet time or there was not enough priming additive added. If your brew is completely still with no life u have a slight issue. I'm hoping for the best for your brew.

Quick Reply