Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Seasonal brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2007, 01:49 AM   #1
Ridge Runner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Seasonal brewing

Thinking of moving to a more seasonal approach to brewing. Gonna have some sort of APA or IPA year round along with Apfelwein or some variation of it. Belgians & Hefe's in the summer. Lagers in the fall, spring, & winter. I'm moving soon with a greater potential for temp control. Just thinking maybe I should be brewing a Barleywine or Winter Warmer around the summer solstice to be ready for Christmas. Anyone else have a "seasonal" brewing year?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2007, 01:51 AM   #2
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I think I am influenced by the season. Just not enough planning to be "in tune" with them. Seems by the time I want a certain beer based on the season, it is too late to brew it.

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 05-28-2007, 02:02 AM   #3
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I am new to all this but I know that summer in Atlanta a stout or barley wine is nearly undrinkable from June-August. I am drinking an extract hefe, conditiong a kolsch-style, planning an all grain hefe and pale ale and maybe a belgin wit for the next few weeks. Hopefully that will be enough for the summer.

The increasing heat has pushed off my plans for stouts and IPAs until I have these others done. I will be brewing these in July.

I hope to get a Bock going for the spring too.

So I think that I have, without planning, moved to seasonal brewing.

On that note, what are some other lagers that are traditional for the winter, early spring?

Old 05-28-2007, 02:10 AM   #4
Whelk
Recipes 

This isn't exactly related, but I'm leaving for grad school in the UK in September, so I was thinking I'll make a really big beer right before I go. Then I won't be tempted to touch it for at least a few years. Maybe I'll save it for after I finish my MA and my PhD!

On another note, I'm regretting not having made a few more hot-weather beers for the summer, but I'm trying to make up for it now.

Nothing until I figure out if I can make it happen over in the UK.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:48 PM   #5
crisis
Recipes 

I've been doing this. I brewed a light fruit ale and a Witbier in late winter so they woudl be ready for spring, and I am going to be brewing a winter warmer this weekend that will age for 6 months and be ready for the holidays.

Of course you can always brew what you are in the mood for, but seasonals have always been a favorite of mine long before I became a home brewer.

(Just thinking of Great Lakes Christmas Ale makes me want to go home for the holidays this year)

Old 05-30-2007, 10:50 PM   #6
Dr Malt
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

I use my garage as my "fermentation cellars". Living in the Northwest, that means 48 -55 F in the winter and 60 - 70 F in the summer. Thus, I brew lagers in the winter and ales in the summer. I change over in May and October. Someday I will get temperature control (old frig) but until then, this has worked for me for the last 4 years or so.

Dr Malt

Quick Reply