Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Sealing brew-bucket lid

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2011, 01:41 AM   #1
badmajon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Sealing brew-bucket lid

So I ordered a couple of 7 gallon HDPE buckets from usplastics and I am using one as a fermenter. I drilled a hole in the lid with a hole saw, and then stuck a airlock in there.

I did my beer thing, and then pitched it into this bucket. A day later, I was feeling kinda sad, b/c there was no activity, and I areated the heck out of it and pitched a lot of yeast.

Then I pryed the top off, and saw I was at full krausen with no activity in the airlock. Obviously, the co2 is escaping and the lid is not secure. Any fixes for this? Is there a special "brewing lid" with a rubber gasket or something I can buy?

In the meantime, am I prone to infection since its obviously not airtight? I'm kinda hoping the co2 flowing out will keep air from coming in at this point.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 01:49 AM   #2
superjunior
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

most brew bucket lids have a rubber gasket around the inside of the lid and a small one for the airlock. there's a couple different sizes (bucket diameters) that I know of, one would probably fit your bucket. I wouldn't worry about infection at this point as co2 is pushing eveything out

Old 03-22-2011, 01:52 AM   #3
Whut
Mmmmm, beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1651 Times on 1547 Posts
Likes Given: 8589

Right, all of my True Brew buckets have a rubber seal around the inside edge. I believe it was EdWort whom I saw a YouTube video of his fermenting with just the lids sitting on top. If you practice good santization, I'd think you'll be just fine.

Get off my lawn! - shecky
Shut up, old man!- Sharona

Old 03-22-2011, 02:07 AM   #4
aggiejay06
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Plenty of people just sit the lid on top and don't worry about locking it up air tight...you'll be just fine.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:57 AM   #5
itsme6582
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I wouldn't worry about the seal. I still get a kick out of the bubbles but I'm moving to a closet soon so I'll be missing out too.

Your fermentation has taken off already. Anything that did manage to get in there will have its butt kicked by your ferocious yeast. Fagetaboutit

Old 03-22-2011, 03:46 AM   #6
tchuklobrau
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I got an ale pal from the wife for xmas. It had the same problem. I promptly called williams 2 bitch about and the sales reptile said "oh your one of those kind huh. Well if you insist on seeing bubbles from the airlock put some keglube around the rim before you put the lid on". and when i remember to do that it seals great.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:36 AM   #7
jjward101
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjunior
most brew bucket lids have a rubber gasket around the inside of the lid and a small one for the airlock. there's a couple different sizes (bucket diameters) that I know of, one would probably fit your bucket. I wouldn't worry about infection at this point as co2 is pushing eveything out
my BB kit has no rubber gasket around the lid. It fits tight, and I get plenty of airlock action. Of course I know that airlock bubbles aren't the most important thing. The airlock gives you a visual of what is going on in the bucket.

As stated by Revvy in at least 4 or 5 posts recently, you dont really face too much risk of an infection since the positive pressure ove th co2 escaping negates the ability of any wild yeasties from entering.

Picture it this way: Try to throw the crumbled up wrapper from a straw or piece of gum into a window fan. The pressure of the air blowing at you makes it impossible for the crumbled up gum wrapper to get into the fan. The fan is your fermenter, the wrapper is your wild yeast.

If It's Worth Doing, It's Worth Doing Right!

Old 03-22-2011, 12:15 PM   #8
badmajon
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Yeah I'm not really concerned about it now, but when the co2 stops getting produced then its another story. What's keglube?

Old 03-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #9
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 852 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmajon View Post
Yeah I'm not really concerned about it now, but when the co2 stops getting produced then its another story. What's keglube?
Nope, it really isn't another story. CO2 is heavier than air and it forms a blanket over your beer. As long as you don't pull the cover off, nothing will get in.

If something did get in, chances are the alcohol in the beer would kill it anyway. Your real danger time is right after you have cooled the wort and before the yeast have a chance to propagate. You have this bucket full of medium that all the bacteria would love to colonize. That's why we continually tell people to sanitize.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:45 PM   #10
badmajon
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Huh. I didn't know that. Thanks.

On another note, I called US plastics and they told me the lids they sell for the buckets I bought have gaskets in them. Has anyone bought these lids http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...3221&catid=686 and can confirm?

I just like seeing the bubbles. I'm kinda like that fish in Finding Nemo. Bubbles bubbles bubbles... my bubbles!

Quick Reply