Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Screwed Up - How do I salvage this batch?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2009, 01:38 PM   #1
sharp63
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Screwed Up - How do I salvage this batch?

So for whatever reason, I tried to go by "memory" of how much water I needed to make up for what I couldn't boil (I only have a small brew pot). For some reason, I decided that number was 3 gallons and stupidly added that to my primary BEFORE I poured my wort in. Well, I ended up with at least 5.5 gallons in the bucket, maybe 6.

What can I do to salvage this or should I just let it go and have a weaker brew?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2009, 01:43 PM   #2
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 314 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Did you pitch already? If so, there is not much you can do...what was your hydrometer reading before pitching? How far off was it?

Old 08-10-2009, 03:06 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

I'd just let it ferment. Most batches I plan on 5.5 gallons into the fermenter.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-10-2009, 04:22 PM   #4
beerkrump
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a light bodied, lower ABV beer. I don't know why people freak at the thought of having a 3.5% beer around. I always like to have something in the lower end around. It's better at slaking your thirst after working in the summer heat and you won't feel logy after drinking a brew at lunch.

RDWHAHB, live and learn, and all that good stuff.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:59 PM   #5
bamadoh
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerkrump View Post
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a light bodied, lower ABV beer. I don't know why people freak at the thought of having a 3.5% beer around. I always like to have something in the lower end around. It's better at slaking your thirst after working in the summer heat and you won't feel logy after drinking a brew at lunch.

RDWHAHB, live and learn, and all that good stuff.
I couldn't agree more. I like having a few low abv beers around. They are great for hot summer drinking and tailgating which is coming up soon. As to your batch, I don't know what you were shooting for as far as OG and what type of beer it is, but if you absolutely have to make up some gravity you can try adding some honey or extract at high ferment. When I make a honey beer I always add the honey at high ferment and they always turn out great. It ferments out very dry and usually doesn't affect the body too much while adding a great boost to the abv.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:05 PM   #6
sharp63
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

How should you go about adding extract? Do you just dump it in? Does it need stirred? I've never really touched a beer during it's most active fermentation, so I'm not sure what to do here.

I'll probably just let it be but I'd like to know for future reference.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:12 PM   #7
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp63 View Post
How should you go about adding extract? Do you just dump it in? Does it need stirred? I've never really touched a beer during it's most active fermentation, so I'm not sure what to do here.

I'll probably just let it be but I'd like to know for future reference.
Do it just like a starter just boil it in some water cool and toss it in. It really not the end of the world that the beer will be a little lighter than was planned.

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Quick Reply