Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Schlafle's brewery/Morgan St. Brewery St. Louis Visits

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2008, 02:34 AM   #1
VermVerm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Schlafle's brewery/Morgan St. Brewery St. Louis Visits

I visited Morgan St. Brewery on the landing near the Arch in St. Louis this weekend. The good news was that the food was good. The bad news was the beer...all of it. I had the stout. Overly bitter and astringent. Coffee was the only pleasant taste and was overpowered by poor brewing technique. 1.5 out of 5. The Hefeweizen was lacking in banana and clove. Watery and maybe too young in the aging process to serve...didn't think that possible. 1.5 out of 5. It was at least drinkable, but don't expect much.

Last night we visited Schlafle's. Overall a great experience. I had the sampler and the seasonal. The sample has a hefe, pilsner, pale ale, american pale ale, 15th anniversary beer and the seasonal Raspberry hefe. All were drinkable to very drinkable. The 15th Annv. ale was a belgium brown with a farmhouse yeast and spicy finish. A darning beer that works on many levels. I don't care for spice taste in beer...but this was a good beer. 4 out of 5. Best for last. I like a good hefe...that is what I know the best because that is what I brew most often. The Raspberry Hefe should win awards. Heavy mix of banana with the slight draw of the raspberry. The balance was great without any noticable hops. The palate was filled with pleasant tastes that rarely can be coaxed out of a beer. I looked around the outdoor pavillion and with the noticable pink hue I could tell that no less than 90% of the glasses on the tables were the Schlafle's Raspberry Hefe.

Cheers,

Eric Vermilion

Verm
VALHALLA'S GATE BREWERY

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2008, 03:37 PM   #2
Hoosierbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I was in St. Louis for training with Wachovia a few weeks back. There are 2 other breweries in the area. Buffalo Brewing is on Olive near SLU. The other is Square One which had a nice Dubbel. They also have happy hour specials from 4-6 every day. It is in Lafayette Park area.

Primary 1: Oatmeal Coffee Stout
Secondary: American Mild IPA
Keg 1: English Bitter

Next up: Double IPA for friend, Kolsch, Graff, American Wheat, Dunkleweizen.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:08 PM   #3
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Square one is probably my favorite place to go as of right now. Great beer, great food, great atmosphere and in an up and coming area of town. I live in the county so I am far away, but I get there whenever I can.

Schlafly's is also a great place. They have two locations. I have been to the bottleworks a good number of times and love going there. The tap room I have yet to go to, but understand that it is the better of the two locations.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:38 PM   #4
Reverend JC
2500 gallons year to date

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I visited Schlafleys tap room and the morgan street brewery. I could not agree more about morgan street. The food was just ok, and the beer was not good. It would seem the head brewer there either isnt sure about what he is doing or has lost his zeal for making outstanding beer (if they ever did).

The tap room was out of this world fantastic. The sheppards pie made with their stout if memory serves me right was awesome and the sampler i had was loaded with beers that were highly drinkable and very good examples of the style they were representing.

If i have a chance to go back to St. Louis the tap room will be a for sure on the list of places to go.

"Just because i don't care dosen't mean I don't understand." -Homer Simpson

http://www.modernmonks.com

Old 07-08-2008, 01:42 AM   #5
VermVerm

Recipes 

Unfortunately we couldn't go to square one because they were closed on the 4th. A local friend is very high them. Did you like Buffalo Brewing. I have not heard of it and will be going back to see my friend in the future.

Verm
VALHALLA'S GATE BREWERY

Old 07-08-2008, 01:48 AM   #6
VermVerm

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend JC View Post
I visited Schlafleys tap room and the morgan street brewery. I could not agree more about morgan street. The food was just ok, and the beer was not good. It would seem the head brewer there either isnt sure about what he is doing or has lost his zeal for making outstanding beer (if they ever did).

You nailed it. Sloppy, unenthusiastic, and blah.

The tap room was out of this world fantastic. The sheppards pie made with their stout if memory serves me right was awesome and the sampler i had was loaded with beers that were highly drinkable and very good examples of the style they were representing.

I saw the Cubs/Cards on Saturday, and was heartbroken by the Cubs loss...but the pulled pork sandwich was out of this world. Schlafly's is a great place to go. They have a sign posted on the wall trying to raise $50Billion so they can buy Anheiser Busch and keep it American. They had a meter for keeping tally and it was at $74 when I was there...it showed on the meter up to $50 Billion. Priceless. And the kind of fun attitude it takes to run a world class microbrew house.

If i have a chance to go back to St. Louis the tap room will be a for sure on the list of places to go.
I can't wait to go back!

Verm
VALHALLA'S GATE BREWERY

Old 07-08-2008, 03:14 AM   #7
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default I liked Schlafly's

Boy - My opinion differs from yours. (my bad, you were talking about Morgan St) I was at the Schlafly brewery tour about 2 weeks ago. My favorite beer was the APA. Hopped w/ cascades. My group loved this particular beer.

The tap room food was OK, I would not order the Schnitzel again. It was too dry. Much of the group thoroughly enjoyed the food. I would have to say we were tapped out when we arrived. I drank their Dortmunder and Pilsner. Both were good and went well with my food selection.

I/We started at;

Day - 1
O'Fallon's Brewery - O'Fallon Gold
Trailhead Brewery - Trailhead Red
Schlafly's Bottwerks Brewery - Stout, APA & #15
The Blueberry Hill - O'Fallons 5-day IPA
Cicero's - Local Witt, Double Dog, Arcadia Double IPA, New Belgian Le Fleur Misseur
Schlafly's Taproom - Dortmunder, Pilsner

Day 2
Morgan St - Vienna & Steam Beer
AB - Bud Select & Bareknuckle Stout

Out of the whole trip the Schlafly APA was the best tasting beer I drank. I brought home a 6'r of the APA two 12oz glasses and two sample glasses plus a T-shirt.

If I could get this locally I'd have this as a back-up when I'm out of HB.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 07-08-2008, 02:09 PM   #8
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

How'd you like the 5-day IPA? That is probably my favorite IPA.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:59 PM   #9
Hoosierbrewer
Recipes 

Buffalo had a decent, but small menu. Their beers were average. I was able to get a Jalopeno beer and a wheat. The Jalapeno had a nice zing to it. I specifically went for that. The wheat was tasty. You can get a logo glass and beer for pretty cheap. The BBQ place behind them is supposed to be good though. You could try a beer or 4 at Buffalo and then have bbq at the place in back of them.

If I had to rate the pubs. Square-One, Schlafly's, Buffalo, Morgan. I had a decent burger at Morgan and an average beer. Square one had a great plate with hummus on it and the nachos were different, but good.

Also not, you can go to Schnucks and get more of the beers from out west. I bought several beers from New Belgium. 1554 was my favorite. I picked up some fat tire for a buddy also.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:01 PM   #10
Hoosierbrewer
Recipes 

Also, go on the tour if you can at AB. THe tour is awsome and the glasses that they use are nucleated. It is great for beer. You can buy the glasses there also. I wish I had purchased 4 of them.

Quick Reply