The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Saving water!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2012, 08:08 PM   #21
rhamilton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Due to water conservation rules, I was obliged not to waste water when I started brewing:

Convert your IC to use a submersible pump instead of a garden hose so you have a closed system.

[Pump In Ice Chest] ---> [IC] -- [Return To Ice Chest]

Start with just enough H2O to keep the pump primed. Add ice. As the hot water returns, it'll melt the ice so you have more water volume and colder water.

Keep adding ice until you hit your target temp. Refreeze the water in the ice chest for your next cooling session.

Nothing is wasted except for evaporation.

Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH
CBMbrewer Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #22
Hamsterbite
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I brew in the backyard, use an immersion chiller, and the water I use to do that goes right into the swimming pool, so chilling is not an issue.

However, bottle washing and sanitizing does use a lot of water. Now if someone could come up with and market cleaning and sanitizing products that were plant safe, I'd collect that water and use in the garden. As it is, it has to go down the drain.
Kegging may save some water over bottling as far as cleaning goes. It does help to use one of those pump action bottle washers though...you recycle the water over many bottles as opposed to running the faucet for 30 minutes.
I may move from Iodaphor to Starsan. Seems like you don't need to use as much water with the foaming action.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #23
H-ost
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsterbite View Post
However, bottle washing and sanitizing does use a lot of water. Now if someone could come up with and market cleaning and sanitizing products that were plant safe, I'd collect that water and use in the garden. As it is, it has to go down the drain.
Have you tried oven sanitizing? I have a small oven and can fit at least 50 bottles in it. The whole process takes about 3 hours but you can do it days or weeks prior.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #24
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 353 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wherestheyeast View Post
I think it's admirable to want to conserve regardless of incremental cost. When you think about how we (myself included) use potable water, it is a bit ridiculous: flushing the toilet is the biggest WTF I can think of. Running potable water through an immersion chiller is wasteful also.

I don't want to start any socio-political arguments here, but Americans use an obscene amount of potable water per capita than most countries.
Flushing toilets is quite possibly the best use of water. Have you been to a densely populated place without a sewer system? The disease prevention alone is worth it, and you get the environmental comfort for free.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:15 PM   #25
rhamilton
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir View Post
Flushing toilets is quite possibly the best use of water. Have you been to a densely populated place without a sewer system? The disease prevention alone is worth it, and you get the environmental comfort for free.

"The solution to pollution is dilution"
Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH

Old 08-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #26
Hamsterbite
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-ost View Post
Have you tried oven sanitizing? I have a small oven and can fit at least 50 bottles in it. The whole process takes about 3 hours but you can do it days or weeks prior.
No, but that will make for some interesting research. Would have to to a cost benefit analysis. Water and petrolium used to power the electricity for my oven are obviously both limited resources.
Maybe a solar oven saniter though? Along with the heat produced, I bet all that concentrated UV would be a very effective means of sterilization as well.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:24 PM   #27
logan3825
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #28
Hamsterbite
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan3825 View Post
If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down.
I thought it was If it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown, bottle it on week 3 and begin consuming between weeks 4 & 5?

Oh wait, were you talking about something else?

Old 08-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #29
wherestheyeast
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir View Post

I wasn't advocating not flushing toilets. I realize that my message wasn't clear -- I meant to say flushing toilets with potable water. When you think about the idea that we are flushing our toilets with water that comes from the same source of our drinking water, it is kind of ridiculous. (How much time, money & energy goes into treating our drinking water only to be literally flushed down the toilet?)

I had an RV at one point that had a fresh water holding tank, a gray water holding tank (water that goes down sink/shower drains), and a black water tank (from toilet flushes). When on extended trips where water conservation was an absolute necessity, I began to wonder why the toilet was being flushed with fresh water instead of gray water.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:58 PM   #30
bja
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wherestheyeast View Post
When you think about the idea that we are flushing our toilets with water that comes from the same source of our drinking water, it is kind of ridiculous. (How much time, money & energy goes into treating our drinking water only to be literally flushed down the toilet?)
So you're suggesting that people plumb non-potable water into their house just to flush the toilets with?

That's ridiculous.

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Quick Reply