Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Saving water!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2012, 04:40 PM   #11
H-ost
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 108

HSA - Hot Side Aeration, is considered more a myth according to many people on this forum.

Aeration is supposed to be done right before you pitch your yeast which does not necessarily right after it is cooled. Yeast need oxygen to reproduce and do their job but once they get full and tired the oxygen will hurt your finished beer.

As far as DMS being produced, there have been a few side by side tests done of no chill vs fast chilling and all them concluded that it is not an issue. Aside from the "Brew Your Own" episode(s?) on it, a few people in the "Exploring No Chill" thread that I mentioned have tried it themselves and come to the same conclusion.

No chill is highly utilized in Australia due to their strict water restrictions and more and more people in the states are doing it as well.

Keep in mind, if you use your BK to no chill in then you should not use your ball valve to fill your fermenters the next day because it will not be sanitized.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2012, 05:28 PM   #12
PoorYorick
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I have not experienced any infections since I have been brewing, and I literally have done no chill method every brew. The brew pot is sanitized form the boil procedure and I have a lid that I keep sanitized that fits snugly on top. With safe and sanitized practices I believe there is little chance for infection. My wort is no more aerated than when racking when it's cool either....

I did mess around with an immersion chiller but it really did seem like a waste of water when I can just let the wort sit. Especially if you are brewing 10 gallon batches ever two weeks or even more often.... that water can add up lol However at some point in the future I do plan on buying a plate chiller to add to my setup and those I do recommend using.

CBMbrewer: Thanks for noticing the name I have an awesome painting depicting the scene of Opelias grave with Hamlet holding the skull.

Kegged: #10 Christmas Ale
Bottled: #8 Arrogant Bastard Clone
Bottled: #6 Lucky 5 IPA

Old 08-28-2012, 05:33 PM   #13
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipgate View Post
lol - I wasn't aware you could "waste" water. But anyway, how much extra do you think you are going to pay sending an extra 20 gallons down the drain? On my bill, this would be covered under the minimum usage. I think you are looking at a false sense of economy here.
Water is expensive here in Chicago. (Yes, I know, we're right next to one of the largest bodies of fresh water on earth. Remember, it's Chicago).

"Wasting" an extra 20 gallons adds up quickly. Building a rain barrel for the garden and recycling brewing water cut my water bill by 75%. No false sense of economy here.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:48 PM   #14
CBMbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Thanks for the tips. Slipgate, water is a commodity and can be conserved, you are false for thinking otherwise (see TyTanium's post above). I know yeast needs oxygen guys.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:28 PM   #15
Slipgate
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

If the water goes down a city sewer, it is recycled. According to Chicago water rates, 1000 gallons costs $2.51 + 89% of that for sewer. That is roughly 9 cents for 20 gallons. Probably the cheapest part of your brew day. As you pointed out, you are next to one of the largest freshwater bodies in the world, so there is no shortage of water.

But I get your drift.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:32 PM   #16
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipgate View Post
If the water goes down a city sewer, it is recycled. According to Chicago water rates, 1000 gallons costs $2.51 + 89% of that for sewer. That is roughly 9 cents for 20 gallons. Probably the cheapest part of your brew day. As you pointed out, you are next to one of the largest freshwater bodies in the world, so there is no shortage of water.

But I get your drift.
It's not the usage rates that kill you, it's the taxes.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:52 PM   #17
bja
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMbrewer View Post
when transferring hot wort into a carboy have you had any problems with oxidation due to hot side aeration?
HSA is not a concern when transferring hot wort into a carboy since the carboy is going to explode and the wort will be all over the floor.

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

People Like This 
Old 08-28-2012, 07:36 PM   #18
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

In the summer, I run the water into a wading pool for the dogs. Otherwise, it goes into the septic tank and out into the drain field where it eventually hits the "timber line". That's out at the retirement house.

Our main home, they don't charge for water. In the winter they check the meters and use that as a basis for sewer fees, but it's the same year-round.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #19
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Few ways to decrease your usage during brewing other than no chill. The only other ways I can think of are to clean more efficiently with less water and make sure your chilling is very efficient. You can reuse the otherwise wasted water in lots of ways.

Use an old carboy to reuse your star san(it doesnt go bad)
hook a sprinkler up to the end of your chiller out hose and water the lawn
use the chiller water for laundry
use the chiller water to clean your equipment

Old 08-28-2012, 07:59 PM   #20
wherestheyeast
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I think it's admirable to want to conserve regardless of incremental cost. When you think about how we (myself included) use potable water, it is a bit ridiculous: flushing the toilet is the biggest WTF I can think of. Running potable water through an immersion chiller is wasteful also.

I don't want to start any socio-political arguments here, but Americans use an obscene amount of potable water per capita than most countries.

Quick Reply