Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Saving or Spending More Monday?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #31
phoenixs4r
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Back when all I drank was Sierra Nevada pale ale, I think I did calculations including the Gas/water bill and think I broke even, back when I would just buy extract or kits.

I haven't bothered with calulating it now that I have an all grain system, mostly because I look at the prices of Stone or Russian River and can't say that I enjoy paying what they charge. Not saying it's not worth it, just not really up my alley to spend what they want.

Paintball was the one hobby I got into and could not believe how much money I had invested in it in such a short time. When I sold my gear bag I was in it 3 grand, $200+ speedball days, just for fun. Where the **** did all my income go?

Oh ya, girlfriend + kid. Wouldn't trade them for the world though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 11:05 PM   #32
yrewerb
Recipes 

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the largest cost of making beer... time.

I started brewing over twenty years ago because good beer was difficult to find and expensive, but stopped after a couple of years because it just took too much time. I dug out my equipment last year when I retired. It seems that my time is not as valuable now (supply and demand) and with the exception of a few updates (temp controller, stir plate, etc) my equipment was paid for so long ago that it doesn't count. So in answer to the OP's question, yes I do save money.

Bob

Old 06-12-2012, 02:23 AM   #33
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 793 Times on 529 Posts
Likes Given: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrewerb
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the largest cost of making beer... time.

I started brewing over twenty years ago because good beer was difficult to find and expensive, but stopped after a couple of years because it just took too much time. I dug out my equipment last year when I retired. It seems that my time is not as valuable now (supply and demand) and with the exception of a few updates (temp controller, stir plate, etc) my equipment was paid for so long ago that it doesn't count. So in answer to the OP's question, yes I do save money.

Bob
It's a hobby so it's hard to put a value on time. When I have no time I have no beer (like now) and probably like all those years for you.

For me, the time spent brewing is the reward. The (mostly) good beer is a nice bonus. The money spent along the way is really not that important.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #34
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 283 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 325

Apart from the constant upgrading and "beer-jewelry" as I like to call it, I was on my way to saving money, but then I decided to open a brewery...

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 06-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #35
tryn2brew
On the road again
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ask a golfer what he spends on his hobby. I think this is probably cheaper for most. I find it relaxing, and have the benefit of beer that is better than most I buy. I laugh when someone tells me they brew to save money. I'm sure a couple of folks pull it off, but my per bottle cost is pretty high if I include equipment cost. I guess I need to brew more to get that average down...

Old 06-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #36
ACbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 3

A big difference between homebrew and most other hobbies is when you are done, you go for a beer... so for homebrew you don't pay for the beer when you are done, but after a round of golf, a motercycle ride, a day fishing, etc, you get some beer.

So in this case it is hobby cost (beer included) in the others, it is hobby cost plus beer.

Does it save me money? I don't know. I drink more beer now that I make what I like.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #37
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2262 Times on 1970 Posts
Likes Given: 1698

Besides brewing what we like causing more drinking,I think it's also the fact that so much more beer is on hand. Complicated by knowing exactly how to make more of it...

Old 06-13-2012, 04:01 AM   #38
kevin009
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Save more money. The bigger you save the more money you can spend.

Crave for a thing, you will get it. Renounce the craving, the object will follow you by itself.

- Swami Sivananda

Old 06-13-2012, 01:43 PM   #39
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by swackattack View Post
Trying to save money on a hobby is a fools errand
Or a hobby in itself. Check out http://slickdeals.net/ . I swear people buy stuff just because it's a good deal. We brag in our signatures about the awesome beers we made; they brag about the awesome deals they got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
Besides brewing what we like causing more drinking,I think it's also the fact that so much more beer is on hand. Complicated by knowing exactly how to make more of it...
I try to do things on the cheap. For me, that's a little bit part of the fun. I go DIY as much as possible, try not to buy lots of gear, bulk grain, wash yeast, use only a few strains of yeast, and whatever else I can think of to lower costs. I've probably spent about $500, but I've got a lot of bulk ingredients put back, and have had plenty of beer and applewine to drink this past year. I haven't bought a single beer (except from bars) in the last year. Part of my savings include using the gas stove (included in rent!) and only brewing small batches, but I get a good variety and really enjoy the process. That said, I drink a lot more than I would if I were not brewing my own and didn't have a few cases lying around.

P.S. SlickDeals can be a great resource. I got a free handheld foodsaver from Target for repackaging bulk hops. It saves money on other stuff, too.
#8 Corks in Belgian Bottles Hold Carbonation
Increasing Pipeline Diversity
On Deck: Hefeweizen yeast experiment with 3068, T-58, and 3711
Youtube Channel on Homebrewing
Youtube Channel on Pipe Smoking

Old 06-13-2012, 02:07 PM   #40
homebeerbrewer

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Homebrewing = The most expensive way to get cheep beer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaRules View Post
... I just threw up on my wife.
jcdouglas Likes This 

Quick Reply