The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > sanitizing bottle caps

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
justio
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default sanitizing bottle caps

I've looked through several threads on here and other homebrew sites and the general consensus is to sanitize the caps.

W/ that being said, is it ok to put a cap on a bottle that's still wet/damp w/ sanitizer water? Will residual sani water have any negative effects on my brew?

Also, if I should dry them, how should I dry them? A clean towel is still not "sanitized."

A previous time I sanitized the caps, and didn't use them all. The ones I didn't use I put away damp and they rusted. Any ideas on that one?

Sorry for all the questions.
Appreciate any input!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2010, 09:23 PM   #2
Pumpkinman906
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

If you use a wet sanitizer such as Iodophor, you simply pull them out of the sanitizer and cap the bottle, no need for drying at all. Just shake off the excess and your good to go. If you have caps left over, dry them off as best you can, leave out to air dry and throw back in the package, you shouldn't have any rust them.
Good Luck and Good Brew...

Old 11-26-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
superjunior
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

just soak them in a bowl of sanitizer and cap your bottles right out of the bowl. the wet sanitized caps won't affect your beer

Old 11-26-2010, 09:26 PM   #4
justio
Recipes 

thanks dudes!

Old 11-26-2010, 11:48 PM   #5
bennyd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I sanitized caps one time and they rusted. I then read that if you get the caps in a sealed bag or container from your HBS, then you don't need to sanitize them.

I decided to bottle without sanitizing and I haven't had a problem (knock on wood).

Old 11-27-2010, 11:37 AM   #6
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 388 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 584

I sanitize my caps in star-san. I only sanitize the amount I need. Extra ones do tend to rust, even after air drying. If your using oxygen absorbing caps do not sanitize them or get them wet. The activate when they get wet and will be useless for the extra money if you drop them in a bowl of sanitizer.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:57 AM   #7
superjunior
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy71 View Post
If your using oxygen absorbing caps do not sanitize them or get them wet. The activate when they get wet and will be useless for the extra money if you drop them in a bowl of sanitizer.
hammy could you elaborate on this a little? I've never heard of this and I'll be botteling about 30 gallons this afternoon. I picked up some oxygen barrier caps yesterday cause the plain tops are easy to label with a marker.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:37 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy71 View Post
If your using oxygen absorbing caps do not sanitize them or get them wet. The activate when they get wet and will be useless for the extra money if you drop them in a bowl of sanitizer.
Actually you can and do want to sanitize them when you are using them, soaking them is what activiates the oxygen absorbing magic. It actually takes a week for them to do their job on the bottle.

On Basic brewing James Spencer contacted the maker of Oxygen Absorbing Caps (Crown Beverage), and actually recommended you santize them quickly, evidently the "Oxygen Absorbing Effect" of the caps is not immediate and they need to be wet for a period of time before the magic happens, like days.

Click to listen

It's within the first few minutes of the podcast.

They recommend sanitizing ONLY the caps you are using, and sanitizing just before bottling.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-27-2010, 02:47 PM   #9
superjunior
Recipes 

thanks for the info Revvy

Old 11-27-2010, 04:28 PM   #10
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 100

I boil the amount of caps that I need + 15% more for about 5 minutes, then pour the hot water & caps into a colander, where they drip off excess water. If I drop one or two, I don't touch it, grab another clean one and keep capping. Rinse the extras off that fell, dab them dry with a towel, and store them back on the shelf. No rust, no sanitizer, no wasted caps, no infections. Been doing it this way for over 5 years (less often since I started kegging) and has never failed me. If anything does get into your beer, it's a small drop of sanitary water. No worries there.

TB

1. Dry Stout 2. Dry Stout 3. Cali Common 4. Cali Common 5. none 6. none
Secondary:
1. Brett Ale 2. none 3. none 4. none
Bottled:
About 58 gallons of beer & 4.2 gallons of mead
Kegged & conditioning:
Imperial Bourbon Barrel Oatmeal Stout x2, Belgian Dubbel, German Pils (lagering), Oatmeal Blonde x2

Quick Reply