Old 01-31-2013, 12:44 AM   #11
eric19312
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbrews
Quick question... I'm a newer brewer and was wondering about cleaning bottles. I've heard many arguments about jet dry or drying agents in the dishwasher. On my dishwasher there is no way to turn it off or wash without it, so I guess my question is will it hurt my beer to wash my bottles in the dishwasher with a drying agent? Also, do you just run the dishwasher with no detergent and let the heat and water do the cleaning work? Advise will be appreciated.
I have same issue. I seem to be ok with following procedure...rinse, clean in dishwasher with the rest of my dishes, then store. On bottling day I dump in a cup of star San solution (diluted per the directions) and dump that bottle into the next. No issues with rinse agents or detergent residue that I can detect, and bottles are cleaned as consumed...no storing dirty bottles.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 12:51 AM   #12
Nuggethead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Star-San all the way. No off tastes, no staining of equipment, never had an issue.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:54 AM   #13
Cybershadow
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Starsan is ONLY no rinse at the 1oz per 5 gallon ratio. It you make it stronger you can have issues.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:45 AM   #14
jhegende
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaK

Why would you rinse a sanitized surface with an unsanitized liquid??
I didn't know what that product was and what it did that's why I am asking so please before you try to make me out to be an idiot I am new to this and don't know ok

Old 01-31-2013, 01:36 PM   #15
aogg
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I use star-san as well. Make 2.5 gallons at a time since its easier for the measurement that comes on the bottle. On bottling day I pour 3/4 gallon or so into the bottling bucket. Fill as many bottles straight from spigot as it will then shake them and poor back into the bucket until all the bottles are done. If you swirl it in the bucket you sanitize it as well. If you use your auto syphon from a container of star-san to fill the bottling bucket you sanitize that as well. I use the bottling wand for the last couple bottles to hit that with star-san too. I don't use the wand for all of them though because that takes longer. My LHBS has 1 gallon glass wine jugs for 3.99/jug and they store star-san great. Carlo Rossi wine isn't great but their sangria is drinkable and you can get 1 gallon glass jugs that way too.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:12 PM   #16
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2023 Times on 1772 Posts
Likes Given: 1503

Just buy SunnyD orange drink in the 1 gallon fridge door container. The plastic used is heavier than milk jugs. They last a year or more & don't shatter like glass. I label them with a Sharpie. Fill with water,then take the cap off the measuring side of the starsan container. Squeeze starsan concentrate 3/4's of the way up to the 1/4oz mark & add to jug of water & seal. It'll mingle with the water all by itself to the proper dilution for 1 gallon. I went to the dollar store for spray bottles too.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:25 PM   #17
ncbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbrews View Post
Quick question... I'm a newer brewer and was wondering about cleaning bottles. I've heard many arguments about jet dry or drying agents in the dishwasher. On my dishwasher there is no way to turn it off or wash without it, so I guess my question is will it hurt my beer to wash my bottles in the dishwasher with a drying agent? Also, do you just run the dishwasher with no detergent and let the heat and water do the cleaning work? Advise will be appreciated.
I haven't tried this method but have read several places that the mouth of beer bottles is too small for the dishwasher to effectively spray into.

In How to Brew, Palmer recommends the rinse-only method: “If you are diligent in rinsing your bottles promptly and thoroughly after each use with your homebrew, only the sanitizing treatment will be necessary before each use in the future. By maintaining clean equipment you will save yourself a lot of work.” I swirl the sediment out, then fill with cold water and let them stand while I'm drinking the beer. When finished, I triple rinse with hot water.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:17 PM   #18
nvious23
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbrewer View Post

I haven't tried this method but have read several places that the mouth of beer bottles is too small for the dishwasher to effectively spray into.

In How to Brew, Palmer recommends the rinse-only method: “If you are diligent in rinsing your bottles promptly and thoroughly after each use with your homebrew, only the sanitizing treatment will be necessary before each use in the future. By maintaining clean equipment you will save yourself a lot of work.” I swirl the sediment out, then fill with cold water and let them stand while I'm drinking the beer. When finished, I triple rinse with hot water.
I am in this same boat. I rinse after use a few times empty, let air dry upside down. On bottling day I use a spray bottle of idophor and let airdry upside down. If you are dilligent about cleaning after use it definitely speeds up the process.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:21 PM   #19
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 324

Iodophor is another inexpensive, no-rinse sanitizer that's very popular. It doesn't foam as much as starsan (which makes no difference at all, but I like the foam) and can be diluted by eye if you know what the right concentration looks like in your water (starsan is clear, iodophor is brown).

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 02-13-2013, 01:55 AM   #20
jhegende
Recipes 

i had one batch I was doing with a friend that got infected but every batch we have done since has been PERFECT thanks for the help!

Quick Reply