Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > San Francisco beer stops?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 05:40 PM   #11
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Depends a little on where you're staying in the city. If you find yourself wandering the Mission District some evening, stick to the well lit streets, this place was my Saturday evening hangout for several years. I can only assume Shawn, the owner, is still keeping good beers on the taps and a selection of bottles:

http://amnesiathebar.com/newp/

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 01:18 AM   #12
iandh
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Check out the San Francisco Brewers Guild Website. It lists all the breweries/brewpubs in the city.

http://sfbrewersguild.org/map

To add to the list checkout Southern Pacific. Solid house beers and a great guest tap list.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:01 AM   #13
samuryan
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 11

pyramid just across the bridge, anchor is cool if you can get in make sure you taste the old potrero. rogue is overpriced kind of a tourist trap. thirsty bear puts out some good stuff, i always just drink there, food is unimpressive. if you head north like others suggested lagunitas, bear republic, russian river, sierra nevada

Old 11-22-2012, 09:14 AM   #14
theblaster
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

As several people have pointed out, toronado is a must. Zeitgeist should also be on the list. If the weather is decent, sitting out on the back yard at the community tables is a perfect late afternoon.

The brewpubs are all.... Fine. Meh. Decent food, decent beer. (21st, HMB, thirsty bear, magnolia). There is a new restaurant in the Mission that specializes is Belgian. The name escapes me... (And don't believe the people who tell you the mission is a bad neighborhood, it's just fine. Stick to Valencia near 16th and you can't go wrong for several blocks).

Old 11-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #15
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblaster View Post
There is a new restaurant in the Mission that specializes is Belgian. The name escapes me... (And don't believe the people who tell you the mission is a bad neighborhood, it's just fine. Stick to Valencia near 16th and you can't go wrong for several blocks).
Monk's Kettle? Frjtz?

Yes the Mission is fine and the area of Valencia and 16th south and west has plenty of options. I still wouldn't say wander certain areas to just anyone. I never had any issues anywhere in the Mission, but I also know a lot of people who aren't as aware of their situation and surroundings when strolling and could probably get themselves into a knife fight strolling through the Union Square Macy's.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 11-26-2012, 06:21 PM   #16
cramjammin
Recipes 

Definitely toronado and magnolia in sf and surprised no one mentioned beer revolution in Oakland. The place is epic. Quick trip on the BART.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #17
PeteyAwol
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

http://www.thirstybear.com/

Place serves its ipa with a fresh hop cone on top. I love SF, I go yearly to catch the NY Mets.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #18
PeteyAwol
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've heard good things about Linden St in Oakland. I've never been to Oakland however.

Quick Reply