The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > San Diego vs Portland

View Poll Results: Better beer city: San Diego or Portland?
San Diego 7 46.67%
Portland 8 53.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2009, 04:37 PM   #11
skadalajara
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
skadalajara's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Arizona, the northernmost state in Mexico.
Posts: 491
Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default

Off the top of my head, I can name only one Portland brewery, as opposed to 4 in SD.
But Portland wins in my book cos it's in the USA, while SD is in the PRK.

__________________

-J

Making the world a bitter place, one IBU at a time.

Axé Cidery and Aleworks

Primary: Social Lubricant
Secondary: Tongue Oil
Lagering: Icy Paralyzer
Bottle conditioning: Liquid Courage
Drinking: Loud Mouth Soup

skadalajara is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2009, 04:38 PM   #12
khiddy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,203
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Well, if you wanna cheat by using the whole SD county, then you're actually going to lose on your argument of "quality beers per square mile", since you've just driven down the concentration of breweries per square mile.

Portland has some 46 licensed breweries IN THE CITY LIMITS. The question was asked, "How many non-Portlanders could name more than 1-2 Portland breweries?" - I challenge y'all on that, because I bet you can name more than that: Widmer, Rogue, Deschutes, Full Sail, Bridgeport. If you can't name even just those, you're no better than a BMC drinker, you ought to go back to your yellow fizzy water and leave the men to discuss beer.

Then we start to get into the breweries that serious (even non-Portland) beer connoisseurs should know: Hair of the Dog, Hopworks Urban Brewery, Roots Organic brewery. McMenamin's is our local chain of brewpubs/theater pubs, and is listed among the top 50 largest craft breweries in the US.

But I can only name two San Diego County breweries... and neither of them is in the actual city limits of San Diego. So... looks to me like there's no contest, pal. PDX FTW!

__________________
Beeritas Vos Liberabit Brewing
Primaries: BEER Beer (4/8/12); Fisher-Price My First Mead (12/20/10)
Kegged: Hairy Patersbier (1/28/12); Dick Beer (2/15/12); Get Yer Goat Maibock (2/22/12)
Bottled: Ye Olde Tyme Holiday Ale (9/26/10); Dick Beer (2/15/12); Candy's Dad's Homebrew (2/27/12)
Apfelweins: Crapfelwein (4/4/12); Apfelweinlager 34/70 (2/26/12)
Kit Wines: Fisher-Price My First Amarone (4/1/12); Rosso Magnifico (4/17/12)
On Deck: Albertus Magnus DIPA

Last edited by khiddy; 12-31-2009 at 04:56 PM.
khiddy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2009, 04:53 PM   #13
Gremlyn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,524
Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing View Post
I should walk away at this point but I can't help myself. You have made comments that are grossly misrepresented.

I am certainly not saying that the San Diego area does not have good beer because they do and a lot of it, but to just say that it is better because you live there and have never been to the other (Portland) does not speak to your impartial view.

I have never lived close to either location but have had many beers from both of them.

Here is another thread started by BrianTheBrewer on the same subject.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/1-be...merica-145085/

P.S. Next time your up this way, drop by and I'll buy you a beer.
That was kind of my point, I was pointing out my lack of impartiality. I'm biased, and I know it I was also making the point that I'm not in love with SD for it's brew scene because of the style that is most common here. I'm only theorising that SD would beat Portland on paper for number of top notch breweries, but I can't even back that up with physical evidence.

P.S. Next time you're down this way, drop buy and I'll buy you a beer too
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I'm a fan of "getting it in the can"!
Gremlyn is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2009, 04:53 PM   #14
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
humann_brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: the sun
Posts: 15,642
Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default

for a reference for people that may not know Widmer, Bridgeport and some of major micros are in Portland, here is a good starting point for a map.

http://www.portlandbeer.org/brewerymap/

Better yet, going from the same source:

http://beermapping.com/maps/citymaps.php?m=portlandor
and
http://beermapping.com/maps/citymaps.php?m=sandiego

__________________
On tap: #79 Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12, Flanders, Barleywine, Wild Blonde (1.045 blonde hopped up and fermented with WLP644), #80B rett Saison
Fermenting: #82 Galaxy IPA, #83 Black IPA
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Kriek, 1.052 12/11,

Last edited by humann_brewing; 12-31-2009 at 04:59 PM.
humann_brewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2009, 05:10 PM   #15
Gremlyn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,524
Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing View Post
It appears that SD has Portland beat for number of breweries (8 vs 6), but Portland has far more brewpubs, which I think is something I'd like to see more of in San Diego.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I'm a fan of "getting it in the can"!
Gremlyn is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2009, 05:15 PM   #16
cpbergie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 213
Default

This is fairly recent and has San Diego #1 and Portland #3. I love the options in San Diego and im obviously biased.

http://www.mensjournal.com/top-five-beer-towns

__________________
cpbergie is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2009, 05:17 PM   #17
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
humann_brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: the sun
Posts: 15,642
Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbergie View Post
This is fairly recent and has San Diego #1 and Portland #3. I love the options in San Diego and im obviously biased.

http://www.mensjournal.com/top-five-beer-towns
as mentioned in post #10
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/san-...4/#post1775767
__________________
On tap: #79 Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12, Flanders, Barleywine, Wild Blonde (1.045 blonde hopped up and fermented with WLP644), #80B rett Saison
Fermenting: #82 Galaxy IPA, #83 Black IPA
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Kriek, 1.052 12/11,
humann_brewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2009, 05:23 PM   #18
carnevoodoo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,305
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khiddy View Post
Well, if you wanna cheat by using the whole SD county, then you're actually going to lose on your argument of "quality beers per square mile", since you've just driven down the concentration of breweries per square mile.

Portland has some 46 licensed breweries IN THE CITY LIMITS. The question was asked, "How many non-Portlanders could name more than 1-2 Portland breweries?" - I challenge y'all on that, because I bet you can name more than that: Widmer, Rogue, Deschutes, Full Sail, Bridgeport. If you can't name even just those, you're no better than a BMC drinker, you ought to go back to your yellow fizzy water and leave the men to discuss beer.

Then we start to get into the breweries that serious (even non-Portland) beer connoisseurs should know: Hair of the Dog, Hopworks Urban Brewery, Roots Organic brewery. McMenamin's is our local chain of brewpubs/theater pubs, and is listed among the top 50 largest craft breweries in the US.

But I can only name two San Diego County breweries... and neither of them is in the actual city limits of San Diego. So... looks to me like there's no contest, pal. PDX FTW!
I'd have to say that you only being able to name two breweries in San Diego county really makes you no better than the people you mock for not knowing the breweries you suggested.

I think Remilard hit on two very important points. Portland has a GREAT beer culture. Lots of beer in a small area and it is well known for just that. You can get a good beer just about anywhere when you're there. However, the number of licensed breweries in the city limits means little to me. You named all of 8 out of 46. McMenamins is just not that good, and there are plenty that can be skipped over without any thought.

San Diego has less breweries. If you're in the suburbs or in the middle of the county, it is not that easy to get a great beer without driving somewhere. However, I would put the top five breweries in San Diego against most of the top 5 in the country. I do believe we have better quality beer through and through down here. Now, don't get me wrong, I love Deschutes. They're the only brewery in Portland that I think even holds a candle to some of the better breweries here.

Now, that said, it is all about personal taste, too. Portland is a nice city and I love going there. But where I live, I'm walking distance to a near perfect beer bar that happens to be on the same bus route with a couple of other bars that are just as solid. San Diego is late to the game compared to Portland, but the only reason that these threads keep happening is because it is becoming more and more valid as an argument.

And to that, I say YAY FOR TWO ****ING BEERVANAS ON THE SAME COAST!
__________________
http://chugsd.com
carnevoodoo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2009, 05:34 PM   #19
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
arturo7's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Huntington Beach
Posts: 9,013
Liked 130 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Can't wait for this thread to come to blows...

__________________

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

arturo7 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2009, 05:36 PM   #20
remilard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 3,655
Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khiddy View Post
Well, if you wanna cheat by using the whole SD county, then you're actually going to lose on your argument of "quality beers per square mile", since you've just driven down the concentration of breweries per square mile.

Portland has some 46 licensed breweries IN THE CITY LIMITS. The question was asked, "How many non-Portlanders could name more than 1-2 Portland breweries?" - I challenge y'all on that, because I bet you can name more than that: Widmer, Rogue, Deschutes, Full Sail, Bridgeport. If you can't name even just those, you're no better than a BMC drinker, you ought to go back to your yellow fizzy water and leave the men to discuss beer.

Then we start to get into the breweries that serious (even non-Portland) beer connoisseurs should know: Hair of the Dog, Hopworks Urban Brewery, Roots Organic brewery. McMenamin's is our local chain of brewpubs/theater pubs, and is listed among the top 50 largest craft breweries in the US.

But I can only name two San Diego County breweries... and neither of them is in the actual city limits of San Diego. So... looks to me like there's no contest, pal. PDX FTW!
Rogue is not a Portland brewery, neither is Full Sail. Deschutes has a brewery in Portland but that is not where their primary production takes place. They are a Portland brewery in the same way that Gordon Biersch is a Miami brewery, which is to say not at all.

So that leaves you with Widmer and Bridgeport, which are the ones people will have heard of.

You list some good breweries in the next paragraph (as much as I want to, I can't make myself like much of what Roots brews, McMennimins is hit or miss but hey they have movies), but many of them are very new and all of them have crap for distribution outside of PDX.

HUB has made some noise, but they are ultra new you can't expect a random beer aficionado in Philly to have heard of them.
__________________
remilard is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hello from san diego! thechris Introductions 2 02-24-2009 12:39 AM
Hello from San Diego, CA StoneFan Introductions 17 11-06-2008 02:08 AM
Hello from San Diego, CA StoneFan Introductions 1 11-03-2008 05:41 AM
San Diego RickWG California HomeBrew Forum 4 02-21-2007 04:00 PM
Greetings from San Diego Bsquared Introductions 1 10-09-2006 12:06 AM