Come enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > The same questions day after day...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2012, 02:13 AM   #1
adamjackson
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Default The same questions day after day...

Before making my first post here, I read Joy of Homebrewing. I then lurked on this forum and others for a while and read a lot of home brew blogs. I then went and watched friends home brew.

Then, I decided to take up the hobby.

When I hit a snag, I spend about 5 minutes searching google and HBT to see if the question has been asked before. If not, I create a thread and then post relevant info like the recipe, equipment used, dates and time frames and some tidbits that might help anyone to answer the question.

Why do so few people do this? I'm not ranting per se' but I feel like a lot of people don't see bubbles in the airlock and jump on HBT or want to dry hop and jump on here and post without searching. The wiki here is really great and I feel like we're to blame because, even though I'm a noob who brewed his first home brew in May, I lurk here daily and often see myself answering the same questions that were answered for me on the Wiki or in joy of homebrewing.

I feel like we are so nice and we answer the same questions again and again without challenging new guys to search before posting. You guys are awesome and very nice to my stupid questions but we're getting new members in the habit of always just posting a new thread instead of searching first.

If this is overly-discussed, fine but is it accepted if I see a common thread and politely link to the wiki on differences between glass carboy and plastic buckets or best practices for dry hopping or how to cold-crash? Just linking to resources is a nice way to show members the info is already out there?

Just thinking out loud.

I'm a bit crazy...about beer.
My Beer Blog
My Beer Photos
Untappd Profile

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 02:19 AM   #2
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 839 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

I hate to admit this, but I gave up answering many of the daily questions because of this. We're not allowed to suggest using the search, and I sort of understand why, but it does get tedious to answer the same questions over and over. eventually, most of the knowledgeable posters that you'll see routinely answering these questions give up. There's only one person who seems to have the patience of a saint who just keeps going and going...

Revvy Likes This 
Old 08-02-2012, 02:20 AM   #3
adamjackson
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I hate to admit this, but I gave up answering many of the daily questions because of this. We're not allowed to suggest using the search, and I sort of understand why, but it does get tedious to answer the same questions over and over. eventually, most of the knowledgeable posters that you'll see routinely answering these questions give up. There's only one person who seems to have the patience of a saint who just keeps going and going...

I see Revvy a lot (mostly cause his avatar is easy to remember) and he does a lot of copy & paste of these REALLY great answers so that's cool of him.

----

I didn't know we weren't allowed to suggest searching. I get it's a turn off to new guys..I'm still new and I'd probably get offended if someone did it. I'm just wondering if I say, "Hey, here's a doc that goes over how to dry hop" if that would be acceptable?

I'm a bit crazy...about beer.
My Beer Blog
My Beer Photos
Untappd Profile

Old 08-02-2012, 02:26 AM   #4
jonmohno
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

Laziness,anticipation or just plain ignorance(not intended to offend).People panic and dont think or just want quick answers. Ive been there. But i generally searched first.It can be complicated with some specifics,when you dont get a reasonable answer after an hour of searching. Or maybe i should technically say reasonable "opinions" rather than answers.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:30 AM   #5
ArcLight
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I am kind of annoyed at all the repeated questions that could easily be answered using the quite good search feature on this site.
At times there are so many repeat questions (that could easily be answered with a simple search (i.e. "How do I make a Starter") that I end up skipping most of the posts.
I make a point of not answering these types of questions.
One poster recently posted something like "I don't feel like using the search feature ..."

Reasons to Search before Posting
1. there is a hell of a lot of excellent information on this website, much of it from 2+ years ago. If you don't search, you are relying on a few people answering your post now.(before it gets pushed down by all the other repetitive posts (my fermentation is stuck, etc)
You will end up not learning as much as you may like. I frequently learn a lot about something because of all the side comments. They may lead me on tangents, but its good stuff.

2. I think its inconsiderate to spam the forum with the same questions over and over, I suspect it causes some members to not read as many posts.

3. I make a point to never answer the type of question that is easily answerable with the most basic searches.

4. In this day of Google, searching is 2nd nature. So why when you come here would you think not to use the search feature?
At least make the attempt at a search, and if you can't get an answer, then make a thread.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:45 AM   #6
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 240 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 112

So I've been on the site for a bit over a year, and post a decent bit. I have started a grand total of maybe 8 threads, one of which was asking for any sort of feedback, the rest were just for discussion. I say this to make it clear that I am totally on board with the idea that almost everything I want to know has been discussed before and I can search and find it.

That said.... not everyone works that way. We can wish that wasn't the case, and we can wish that people would search, but honestly, that's not going to change anything. Some people like to search, some people like to just ask a question. As was mentioned, telling people "search for the answer" is against the policies of this forum, so please don't do that. It doesn't accomplish much. Does anyone really think the concept of a search is foreign to the poster? they are aware they can search, and for whatever reason, opted not to. Maybe the don't think they will get good results. Maybe they've tried the non-google search on this site and found that they didn't get good results. Maybe they don't even know what key words to search for. Maybe they just like personal attention. I dunno. On top of not accomplishing much, it comes across as condescending. If you don't want to answer a question, don't, and that's A-Ok with me. Someone else will.

As for the question about posting links, I post links to other topics all the time. Particularly to stickies or info in the wiki (and the precise This vs that thread the OP referenced). These are great sources of information, and posting a link to them (with maybe a very brief explanation of why its relevant) shows the poster where they can maybe find the information on their own in the future. So honestly, it serves a similar purpose to saying "search", in that it shows the OP how they can find such info on their own, without sounding condescending.

Anyways, just my 2c.

Fake it til you make it.

Dan Likes This 
Old 08-02-2012, 02:48 AM   #7
riverfrontbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I really think that it is just because people are so jazzed that they are brewing and want to get a question out there ASAP. I have been brewing since '99 and i STILL remember my first few batches where I would pry the lid off of the ale pale every day to see if "it was working"......that goes away with time and experience, but there are many new brewers out there, so I don't see this going away anytime soon.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:53 AM   #8
cmybeer
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

Ah hahaha....you should have searched to see if someone had made a post about this topic before!!!

Seriously though, the search is kind of hidden so I don't even know most people consider it an option.

Plus I kind of like the fact that there are repetitive questions because it gives new people a chance to ask questions and then when they know the answer they can answer the questions themselves and test/expand/share their own gained knowledge. It is a cycle of sorts were people answer a question 10 times, ignore it from then on out and then the people who they responded to will start answering those questions and so on and so on.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:12 AM   #9
Horseballs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 7

You know, it could be worse: look at reddit's homebrewing section. I guess people don't get as intensely into things as I do, but it does get borderline infuriating to see so much bad advice, misinformation, noob truisms and just people not being all that curious in general about the world. While I've been absorbing hundreds of hours of reading and information on this site and in brewing, chemistry and biology books I guess people are just watching TV or something. I don't just get into things, I get sucked into things.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:13 AM   #10
naiek
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 708 Times on 691 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Can't wait till after Christmas

Quick Reply