Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Sam Calagione on "Beer Geeks"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #11
Zamial
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

When he pulled his products out of my state because demand was to high and they could not supply it. I was bummed and said "Ok, I understand. I wish you the best."

Then I hear they are supplying growler filler stations inside gas stations and now think "good riddance". In all honesty I do not miss most of the products they make. Their beer line was very subjective and it was a love/hate thing per beer. Some were great and some were just nasty.

I have gone from fan, to just not caring. Not that I wish ill on him or his brew but he dug his own holes here.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #12
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 114

I totally agree with Sam... I think Beer Advocate is quite silly. While Dogfish Head may not be my favorite brewery, I certainly appreciate the unique approach Sam and his team take toward beer. It's my opinion that most of the folks who post to Beer Advocate know little about beer, probably haven't been drinking it long, most likely have never made their own, but just want something to feel good about. Blah.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #13
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2025 Times on 1774 Posts
Likes Given: 1505

I agree that Sam handled it pretty well,considering the my palette is superior,fear me Kind of feel the responses have on BA. Like some of the German beers I like,several judged as crap. Some of those beers started showing up here in cans,& they're good.
But the way some of the responses were worded,I get the distinct impression that thy're considering Sam a sell out. He's just throwing stuff together on a larger scale. Like "hey,look at this new craft beer I came up with!". What a steaming load. Nothing could be further from the truth.
And working personally with a micro biological archeologist to re-creat beers from as much as 9,500 years ago overrated??? What in blazes are these people smoking? I think what Sam does is so way cool he's light years ahead of the crowd with respect to flavors & such that he's trying to bring back to beer.
Hell,I still consider Sam & the gang to still be one of us. Not afraid to push the envelope to come with something new & good. Or old & forgotten goodness. I think the BA crowd needs to get off their high horse & study the real history of beer. They will likely be surprised by what they find out for themselves.
Just like we do,like I did in studying 17th,18th,19th century books,& cobbled together newspaper interviews & such to re-creat something good from the past. Like I did with the old #3 Burton ale. It hadn't seen the light of day in some 122 years. Like Sam did with his ancient ale series. Truly outstanding effort,Sam! Seeing as how those took a microbiological archeologist to anylize all those remnents from countless pottery vessels,brewing sites,etc,a monumental undertaking. Those BA folks need to look at that side of it as well. Some on there put down the scientific results of those remnents in replies like "how do they know what all was gathered & put into those vessels before the beer was put in them"? That sort of thing. Imbisilic twaddlespeak,says I. So in light of what Sam & crew knows goes into these creations,I very much respect their efforts. I like what I taste when I can get out to look for & find them. Just because some reviews from folks trying to sound more professional then they really are say,PU doesn't make it so.
Everyone's palette is different,inso much as what we smell & taste vs the guy next to us. Keep on truckin,Sam!!
JohnnyO Likes This 
Old 01-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #14
luke2080
Insert Witty Title Here..

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

OP - thanks for sharing the link. I never go on BA, mostly because I like to taste beers for myself, and find my way to new beers based on experimental purchasing and opinions of friends.

I cringed when I heard Sam posted a response to an online thread, those normally do not go over well. But I did think his post was well written. (Probably edited by his PR team a few times.....) It was great to read his opinion, although truth be told, it was just a stupid internet debate that meant nothing and did not need a response.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #15
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

I follow a beer blogger on Facebook and read about this yesterday. I did and and will not go to BA to check out the whole thing though.

My experience with that site is that it is total crap, worthless. Think about. We complain about the comments BJCP judges give in competitions! Why bother even reading what 200 regular people full of snobbiness are writing?

The best explanation I have ever seen regarding why the internet is so full of extremes is that the internet is just like the political primaries: only the super-invested, most vocal, loudest mouths will actually go out of their way to voice their opinions online (this includes us, yes I know!)

I just finished Brewing Up a Business, and I have to say I respect Sam a lot more after having heard his story. He is a very humble guy, worked extremely hard to get where he is (still does), and treats his business and his employees as an extension of his family. I'm not even the biggest fan of his beers, but I am a huge fan of his brewery. I personally would not have responded if I was him, but that's his business and he felt the need to do it. I just hope he continues to see success in his endeavors.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:16 PM   #16
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

I think he was right as a pro brewer to knock them down a notch or two. That man works hard for everything he's got. And personally. At least we as home brewers can appreciate his efforts. Those BA folks likely haven't developed a palette for the many different brews pushing style guidelines. Especially in America,as we seem to have inadvertantly become the craft beer mecca of the world. I've read this sort of thing on other forums. Like cooper's forums,where my Americanized versions got me tossed into the fire. Like my IPA,for instance. but some,one by one,started to defend my raison's de ferment after having taken trips to our country from Australia,New Zealand,& that area. They're starting to get it now,as one gentleman responded to me,that he thought they were indeed a bit backward in beer style-wise. I was just happy that a few of them came here to see for themselves what we're doing with beer in the US.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #17
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native302 View Post
Opinions are like A$$H0LE$, everybody has one. Just seems like there are a lot more on BA...
which one, cuz I'd have to go with both.

My Stumps BBQ Clone Build

Old 01-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #18
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Threads like that are exactly why I avoid BA like the plague. Too much arrogance. Sam handled that well. You'll notice the entire thread changed after his post. No one had the balls to tell him his beer sucks to his face.

DFH isn't my favorite brewery, although I do enjoy a few of their releases. I also enjoy a 90min or four once in awhile. They definitely make a number of beers that just don't jive with me, but their beers are inherently polarizing so that should be understood.

It should be pretty simple, if you don't like a beer, don't buy it. That's how capitalism works.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #19
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3337 Times on 2065 Posts
Likes Given: 2841

I love the beer review section of BA. Is there a better, broader beer review site?

The forum sucks.

On topic, I like Sam. Not a big fan of most of his beers, but I like what he's trying to do. Go craft go. His beers don't really fall into to many BJCP styles, so good luck "judging" them.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #20
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Yup,if you don't like it,don't buy it. But don't go public with your imbicilic nonsensical twaddle speak. Don't Socially destroy him because you don't agree with him,Or like what he offers.
Sure,it's ok to give pros & cons about a particular offering. Good beer reviews should do that. But not the elitiste rantings I've seen on there. The responses eb & flow like a lost tsunami. Geez,get over yourselves & realize your not pro judges,BA!

Quick Reply