Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Sam Calagione on "Beer Geeks"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
cadarnell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default sam calagione and his rant

Most overrated brewery? - Beer Talk & Questions - BeerAdvocate

I am probably late to the party but, anyone over here read this?

I personally don't see the need for a man in his position to put down so many passionate beer drinkers the way he did here.

If he just had to say something (he shouldn't have IMO) after seeing all the negative comments, he should have just thanked all the posters for the info, and vowed to do all he could to change the way people seemed to think of his brewery as overrated.

Thoughts ?
Old 01-11-2012, 12:56 PM   #2
rebl68
Recipes 

I agree with him and the stance he's taking. Everyones pallette is different so you and I may not like the others favorite beers. Just because that holds true, doesnt mean your favorite sucks and mines better....its all a matter of personal opinion.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #3
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1267 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 583

When I saw your link, all I could think was, "Uh oh...". It's rarely a good idea for a producer to respond directly to criticism, since it almost always looks petty and hostile. But, I think Sam was spot on here. It's all well and good to dislike certain beers, but the level of self-righteousness in that thread was incredibly tedious.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-11-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
two_hearted
Hold on to your butts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Its all too easy to hide behind a computer screen and bitch about minutia these days. The fact is that people are far more likely to get on their computer to complain about something than they are to praise something.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #5
sudsmcgee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I agree with his argument, but I also think DFH is the most overrated beer I've ever had so I guess I'm clueless.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
Native302
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Much praise to Sam for his comments on all the haters out there. Simply put, if you don't like his beers then don't buy them or drink them. There are plent of other craft beer drinkers that love DFH beers and that will continue to buy them and believe in the way DFH brews and their business.

Opinions are like A$$H0LE$, everybody has one. Just seems like there are a lot more on BA...

Just buy a small swimming pool, throw everything in and mash it. Then open ferment in another swimming pool with all the yeast.
Gaaargh Likes This 
Old 01-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #7
cadarnell
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxam View Post
Its all too easy to hide behind a computer screen and bitch about minutia these days. The fact is that people are far more likely to get on their computer to complain about something than they are to praise something.
yea ... this is why I think he should have avoided the thread ... I like that he is online, probably even here, and reading our posts, but I think if he responds it should be overly nice ... he was sort of pissed and you could tell it ... he even cussed a little ... not good biz IMO

Old 01-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
mlyday
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

I thought he handled it quite well, didnt seem like he was taking it too personally. Stated some fact and didnt really try to get in a pissing match.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #9
lemmiwinks
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadarnell View Post
yea ... this is why I think he should have avoided the thread ... I like that he is online, probably even here, and reading our posts, but I think if he responds it should be overly nice ... he was sort of pissed and you could tell it ... he even cussed a little ... not good biz IMO
I don't think a whole lot of people are going to base their decision on buying DFH on Sam's response in that thread.
He is absolutely correct in what he said.
He is doing what us homebrewers are doing but on a much larger scale and made a business out of it . He makes what he likes to make. And that's pretty much the jist of his post. If people like it buy it, if they don't, don't. No big deal.
This is part of the reason why I stopped going to the BA forums. There's an elitist feel to everything. It's not cool to just bang on BMC anymore, now we have to bang on Craft Breweries, specific beers, etc.
If you like a beer buy it and drink it and have fun doing it.
If you're so bold, buy the ingredients, make it and drink it and have an absolute blast doing it.
But at the end of the day, it's just beer.

Cheers

Old 01-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
SittingDuck
The original HBT duck.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Full disclosure: I like Dogfish and a lot of their beers. On the other hand, I've had a few of their beers clean the drain because I, personally, did not like them. Not to my taste or style.

But that's what I really don't get about people and beer. We all like different things and different styles. People rave about Dead Guy and Ruination. I hated both. Couldn't finish them.

But I say, hey, I didn't care for those beers. I don't say, those beers are overrated and terrible and anyone who disagrees is a moron. Stupid sheep being led by the hype.

If you like a beer I don't like, great, that means we aren't fighting over the last one in the cooler. No need to be an ass about it, and certainly no need to slam the company which is doing quite well and gas a ton of fans.

Quick Reply