Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Sam Adams Utopias....Worth it??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #31
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingohio View Post
Since we are on a hombrew site I have to ask why not brew yourself some?
Good question! For me, I haven't tried Utopias. If the opportunity presented itself, or if I ever saw if for sale or whatever, I would probably buy it, but I haven't sought it out. So I haven't tried to clone it. But I love Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout and have a clone in the fermenter right now. And if I got as excited over Utopias, I would probably try to clone that as well.

I did brew a barleywine once that came out around 18%... not too far off. And I know a lot more now and would definitely do better now if I were to try again. But part of it is trying the original. It's a yard-marker, it's something to measure yourself against. Without having tried the original, how do you know how close you have come? If I set out to produce a Utopias clone, you can bet that I would buy a bottle of Utopias for comparison... or for research purposes before I brewed. To be serious about a clone, you have to have familiarly with the original, or else you're just dreaming and hoping. Is it worth it? To me? Not really. I can just brew my own 20+% barleywine. I don't need Utopias as a reference point. But if you are trying to clone it, then more power to you. But it's a lot of expense, to be tasting it, just to try and brew a copy. However, buying a bottle to help you create a copy, well, I see the artistic endeavor there and I can respect that.
StoutMeister Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 03:54 PM   #32
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

I'm interested in trying it but I'm not interested in paying that much for it. I'd rather find a place with a few bottles that's willing to sell it in small amounts and buy it by the glass as I would scotch.

I'd probably be more inclined to try making a clone than buying the actual beer just because the challenge is more interesting than buying the bottle.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:38 PM   #33
whoaru99
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Humpsalot View Post
The only difference I can tell between you and I is that you think the purchase shouldn't be questioned, whereas I wonder if someone could possibly get more education/wisdom/knowledge for less money elsewhere.
That's pretty much it. Why should I question whether or not someone wants to buy a bottle of Utopias. It's their money...I couldn't care less if their reason is "me too" or because they truly enjoy it. So what either way?

Primary: Pre-prohibition Lager
Secondary: Russian Imperial Stout
Drinking: Chinook IPA
Drinking: Waldo Lake Amber
Drinking: Edwort's Apfelwein

Old 11-17-2012, 11:02 PM   #34
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99

That's pretty much it. Why should I question whether or not someone wants to buy a bottle of Utopias. It's their money...
Well, I honestly don't care, personally. However, if you read the title of the thread, that is the question the OP was grappling with. So, I felt it would be rude to post in his thread without doing my best to answer his question.

SA Utopias: Is it worth it?

I gave the OP an idea of how he can answer that question for himself. You... Actually didn't help answer his question at all. Your answer to the OP's question was basically: why should I care what you or other people do? Well, then why are you posting in this thread if you aren't helping the OP come to an answer to his question?

It would be like me asking whether I should have beef or chicken for dinner. One person gives me their taste preference. Another gives me an economic breakdown. Another gives me a health breakdown. Then you come along and saying they are all wrong because I should feel free to do whatever I want with my money. While you are technically correct, you aren't really helping to answer the question in any sense.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:36 AM   #35
watersr
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 24 Posts

I would love to have the disposable income to plop down on a bottle of utopia. Honestly however if I had that kind of scratch I think I would be more like to spend it going to great regional breweries and trying some of the limited production beers, like Kate the great or pliney or such a the source where I could share the experience with others, perhaps talk to the brewers, tour the brewery, whatever. I'd much rather have a glass of a great beer among great brewers then a bottle of the best to myself.

Burn the village, then drink the beer!

Old 11-18-2012, 06:57 AM   #36
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 324

I suppose I'd be more inclined to try it if I could just buy a glass, even if that glass was at an even more inflated price, like getting an ounce of the Louis XIV Remy at fancy restaurants. I'd never drop the money for an entire bottle even though I love cognac (and beer), but I would like to try it to see what it's like.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 11-18-2012, 03:45 PM   #37
whoaru99
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Humpsalot View Post
Well, I honestly don't care, personally. However, if you read the title of the thread, that is the question the OP was grappling with. So, I felt it would be rude to post in his thread without doing my best to answer his question.

SA Utopias: Is it worth it?

I gave the OP an idea of how he can answer that question for himself. You... Actually didn't help answer his question at all. Your answer to the OP's question was basically: why should I care what you or other people do? Well, then why are you posting in this thread if you aren't helping the OP come to an answer to his question?

It would be like me asking whether I should have beef or chicken for dinner. One person gives me their taste preference. Another gives me an economic breakdown. Another gives me a health breakdown. Then you come along and saying they are all wrong because I should feel free to do whatever I want with my money. While you are technically correct, you aren't really helping to answer the question in any sense.

My answer was probably better than yours, although you're correct I didn't address it directly to the OP. I addressed it to your pontification.

The OP said he tried it and liked it, therefore was looking for purely a value judgement, not a bunch of diatribe about how you judge people regarding their spending habits/purchases.

How is it best to answer the value question? As I did, by saying "Only you can decide if it's worth it to you."

So, to directly address the OP:

I have not tried Utopias. I do have doubts that it would be worth it to me in the end but how can I really say without trying it. So, while I have my doubts, those doubts wouldn't necessarily stop me from buying a bottle to see what it's all about and having a more informed opinion. But, where the rubber meets the road, only you can decide if it's worth it to you.

Primary: Pre-prohibition Lager
Secondary: Russian Imperial Stout
Drinking: Chinook IPA
Drinking: Waldo Lake Amber
Drinking: Edwort's Apfelwein

Old 11-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #38
watersr
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 24 Posts

He said " pontification". Awesome!

Burn the village, then drink the beer!

Johnnyhitch1 Likes This 
Old 11-18-2012, 05:31 PM   #39
estricklin
Certified Guitar Pickin' Hop Slingin' Crazy Homebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 116

I catch a lot of static when I tell people that my guitar was $3,500, but I have to reply, "life is short and I had the cash".

I think it would be awesome to share a bottle of that with my family and friends, to me that is where the REAL value of it is. Put it up and save it for that special occasion!!

Old 11-20-2012, 12:15 AM   #40
Johnnyhitch1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 31 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 218 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 3306

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingohio View Post
Since we are on a hombrew site I have to ask why not brew yourself some?
Because it would cost around 150 plus about a year for 5 gallons and 1 gallon wouldn't be enough if i did succeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoutMeister View Post
my father and I have drank 3 bottles of this AMAZEING brew

worth every penny
You my fine sir might have just pushed me over the edge. looking for a great Christmas/New years bottle and im stuck between JW blue or utopias...

to the guy who said pontification, amazing

Primary: Kicking Cans DIPA, ECY20 Golden sour.
Kegged: Conan the Brown, OBS (Oatmeal brett stout)
Aging: Flanders Red w/ ECY02, All out Brett.
BOTTLES:

Cider: Grapfelwine, Apfelwine, Cranfelwine, Applejack
Beer: NZ Brett (BD:9/16/12)
Mead: Blueberry-lemon, Raspberry-Lime, Habenero, POM, Traditional.
Cellar: Maple Whiskey Barrel Stout, ST Pumking Clone
StoutMeister Likes This 

Quick Reply