Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Sam Adams New Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2009, 05:44 PM   #1
Spludge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Sam Adams New Beer

I wonder how much these are going to run for

Beer

Schadenfreud Brewing
Beer and hockey, the reasons I wake up every afternoon

Fermenting
Jamil's Russian Imperial Stout, RIS Partigyle, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Denny Conn RyeIPA, BierMuncher's B.W. #2

Bottle Conditioning/Drinking
Jamil's ESB, Honey Raspberry,EdWort's Bavarian Hefe, Oatmeal Stout, Jamil's Amber Ale, BierMuncher's Belgian Wit, Red Ale, Kitchen Sink, Yeasty Beasty Hefe, American Pale, Zone Zero Black, Maibock

Foster School of Business

Husky Ice Hockey

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2009, 05:53 PM   #2
DRoyLenz
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Great find, very interesting article.

I found this information on the Weihenstephan web page:

Quote:
Working in tandem for almost two years, the brewers from Samuel Adams and Weihenstephan are perfecting an innovative beer style that explores new brewing techniques within the boundaries of beer law. Their yet-to-be-named crisp, pale brew is slated to debut in the United States and Germany next spring in cork-finished bottles. This effervescent, Champagne-like beer will weigh in at more than 10 percent alcohol by volume, yet remain very dry and crisp, shattering the preconceived notions of what can be done following the Reinheitsgebot Law.
The Weihenstephan/Samuel Adams beer marries new thinking from the world of American “extreme beer” with tradition and respect for the Reinheitsgebot, a German beer purity law that dates back to 1516 and states that all beer must be brewed using only the four ingredients: malt, hops, water, and yeast. By tapping 1000 years of brewing knowledge and coupling it with American innovation, the brewers at Samuel Adams and Weihenstephan will brew a complex, higher alcohol beer of distinction with only the four classic ingredients. This new beer will be ready to share with beer aficionados throughout the world in the spring of 2010.
http://www.brauerei-weihenstephan.de...59bf59875b84d9

This is pretty exciting, I'm looking forward to the release.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:57 AM   #3
ultraplop
Recipes 

Just a complete guess, I am betting that since they are doing the cork thing and using wine/champagne comparisons, that they may use the same price range and go $10 - $20 a bottle for a 750ml.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:50 AM   #4
Lando
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Cant wait to try it. Love weihenstephan's hefe and like a lot of the SA stuff. Should be an interesting brew.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:18 PM   #5
BrewRI
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraplop View Post
Just a complete guess, I am betting that since they are doing the cork thing and using wine/champagne comparisons, that they may use the same price range and go $10 - $20 a bottle for a 750ml.
Thats a solid bet, I can't wait for this Sam Adams rarely disappoints (Except the blackberry, nay on the blackberry).

Old 10-23-2009, 04:46 PM   #6
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 957 Times on 680 Posts
Likes Given: 2028

This is very cool, this is the sort of experimentation that's really interesting. I'm betting this beer will need to be aged awhile, a cellaring beer.

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

Old 10-25-2009, 01:43 AM   #7
Trouble-Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was watching something on the history channel about beer that had a Sam Adams segment where they were talking about some new beer they were making that was like 18%. It talked about how they had conditioned special yeast for years to get it to stay alive in that much alcohol. Sam Adams does some pretty cool stuff

Old 10-25-2009, 02:08 AM   #8
adx

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble-Brewing View Post
I was watching something on the history channel about beer that had a Sam Adams segment where they were talking about some new beer they were making that was like 18%. It talked about how they had conditioned special yeast for years to get it to stay alive in that much alcohol. Sam Adams does some pretty cool stuff
The beer they're talking about is Utopias. That's a pretty old episode of "Modern Marvels" that they show about 2 to 3 times a year.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:18 PM   #9
jacketsfans
Recipes 

Since the new brew is going to be at least based on the Rheinheitsgebot, I imagine it will be something like a Belgian Blond, but the alcohol will come from specially-bred yeast that survive in higher alcohol environments. Just a guess.

I am shocked...shocked...to find there is brewing going on here!

@nhlcyclesophist

Old 10-25-2009, 03:31 PM   #10
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

Sounds very similar to a slightly higher alcohol Tripel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketsfans View Post
Since the new brew is going to be at least based on the Rheinheitsgebot, I imagine it will be something like a Belgian Blond, but the alcohol will come from specially-bred yeast that survive in higher alcohol environments. Just a guess.
FWIW, most any ale yeast can survive up to 10%.

Quick Reply