Sam Adams IPL Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrphillips

Reaction score
Whilst skulking around the beer cooler at the local Grocery store, I noticed what I thought to be a typo on a 6 pack of Sam Adams. "Surely they mean an ipA, not ipL?" I thought, but upon further investigation, I was surprised to find that it was an India Pale Lager. Lagering (which of course means "to store") goes against one of the more fundamental identities of an IPA - FRESH, lip-smacking HOPS. I had to introduce my taste-buds to this new (or at least, new to me) twist on an IPA. Needless to say, I drove home as quick as I could, running a few yellow lights in the process, and cracked open a bottle.

Appearance: Deep orange, copper, crystal clear. Moderate head, but nice and firm, bright white. Very nice lacing in the glass (I used a goblet-style glass).

Aroma: Very little HOP aroma present - I'm assuming this is due to the lagering process. What little aroma there is can be described as grapefruity.

Taste: Grapefruit! Judging from the aroma, I wasn't expecting the hop flavor to be so pronounced...and it was a welcomed surprise. The bitterness is firm and up-front, but very nicely balanced against the malt backbone which is not completely muted by the HOPS. The bitterness lingers, but not in an unpleasant way - it seems to only hover on the very back of my pallet. Very "thin" mouthfeel (again, I'm assuming this is a result of the lager yeast). The HOP profile reminds me very much of Sierra Nevada's HARVEST, except not NEARLY as intense.

Overall: Will I buy it again? For $10 a 6-pack, I might only bring it home once a month, but it will always be welcome in my fridge! I am only JUST becoming a hop-head, and this is a fantastic transition beer for anyone on the same path. At only 5% ABV, this would be a great summer-session beer. It doesn't have everything that an IPA should have...but then again, it's not an IPA. It's an IPL.

Back