Salt addition during boil or secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasAggie

Reaction score
My dad mentioned tonight how salt and beer complement each other so well. I got to thinking about how I could include salt in the boil or possibly in the secondary. Pouring salt in a bottle of Mexican beer is nothing new but I wonder how salt could be included in the brewing process without disrupting the necessary chemical reactions in the normal brewing process. Has anyone tried this or something similar?

My dad mentioned tonight how salt and beer complement each other so well. I got to thinking about how I could include salt in the boil or possibly in the secondary. Pouring salt in a bottle of Mexican beer is nothing new but I wonder how salt could be included in the brewing process without disrupting the necessary chemical reactions in the normal brewing process. Has anyone tried this or something similar?

Yes, you could do that if your tap water is lacking in chloride and is very low in sodium. But for 99% of people, that will make the sodium too high so it's not recommended.

GOSE

+1

I brew a gose and named it after my wife's late grandmother, who always used to salt her beer. Gose is quite a bit different than pouring salt in an MGD, but very, very good.

50% wheat malt
25% pilsner malt
25% acid malt
Saaz haps to <10 IBU @ 60 min
Salt (0.5 to 0.75 oz per 5 gallons)
Coriander (similar proportions as standard witbier)
Any neutral ale yeast will work (traditional is a german ale yeast)

Enjoy!

Here's a recipe from Radical Brewing:

Hose Your Nose Gose

1.5lbs Pilsen malt
1.0lbs Sour malt
3.5lbs Wheat malt
0.5lbs Flaked oats
1.0lbs Rice hulls

Step mash 113degF/153degF
Mash out 170degF

1oz Spalt hops and IN THE MASH
.5oz Spalt hops @ 45mins of boil (Randy Mosher suggests a 45 min boil for this beer)

.25 tsp salt @ flameout
1oz coriander @ flameout

I've had Leipziger Gose before. It was pretty good. I didn't get any hints of salt but i think the salt is meant more to make the mouthfeel more velvety. According to Randy Mosher it is meant to impart a "subtle richness or more pallatte-fullness."

It came in bags, in golf-ball sized chunks. I'm used to panela/piloncillo that comes in the large cakes. Anyway - I got a bag of the jaggery along with a bag of golden raisins from India.

Next will be some rapadura, if I can find some.

ao125 said:
Perhaps it was just a bad translation and it was just natural sodium in cane sugar?

No idears ;)

I'm not doubting you at all. I do know there a lot of impurities in raw jaggery so salt could be a possibility. I would wager that it would be a very small amount though.

When you add table salt to a beer, it does the same thing in does when you add it to other foods - it masks bitterness. So in a beer, it will make it more malt forward.

If you want to prove this to yourself, take a good lick of some salt, and then drink some nice bitter tonic water. All you will taste is sugar water.

Back