The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > sake/beer hybrid ideas??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012, 05:54 PM   #11
fightingfreuds
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRems View Post
You should try hitachino nest red rice ale. It's made with rice and sake yeast. It's interesting.
Thanks, looks like there were some cloning efforts that were thinking of something similar to this. I've definitely seen that bottle before, I'll look out for it and probably pick it up next time I do.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #12
JBK
Recipes 

Also if your in the boston area you should check out the cambridge brewing company because they recently made a sake beer hybrid that looks delicious! They call it banryu ichi.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:36 PM   #13
fightingfreuds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBK View Post
Also if your in the boston area you should check out the cambridge brewing company because they recently made a sake beer hybrid that looks delicious! They call it banryu ichi.
Yea I did find that page while searching and ended up using their idea. I made what was essentially a starter, referred to as a yeast mash (steamed rice, citric acid, sake yeast, and koji that I had made). Let ferment for a week, then pitched on wort featuring mostly pils malt and about a pound of red rice, single hop sorachi ace. Within 12 hours there was some pretty strong signs of fermentation, temp is at about 62 and now a week later it's starting to slow down. Going to raise the temp a few degrees for a few days and take a sample.....

Old 02-09-2013, 02:56 AM   #14
fightingfreuds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm cold crashing this today, had a taste of a sample and it's pretty reminiscent of a belgian pale ale (fruity phenols/esters) with some noticeable rice character. Interesting, not exactly what I was expecting but I guess it makes sense with the fruit-like character that sakes develop

Old 07-28-2013, 04:14 AM   #15
keesimps
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

How has this beer aged and did it turn out? Also, what ABV did you end up at? I saw the article in Zymurgy about sake brewing a few months ago and thought that this would be something fun and different to do...

Old 07-28-2013, 04:28 AM   #16
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBK View Post
It's quite good. Though, to be honest I've only ordered it once.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #17
fightingfreuds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keesimps View Post
How has this beer aged and did it turn out? Also, what ABV did you end up at? I saw the article in Zymurgy about sake brewing a few months ago and thought that this would be something fun and different to do...
Had a couple bottles lying around until maybe April, so didn't exactly let it age much. Not much of a noticeable difference in those months, except slightly more fruity yeast character coming through probably due to hop character dropping out. All in all was fine don't think the rice added much, didn't get the red hues I was hopping for. Personally didn't think it was too different from a Belgian Pale, if I were to do it again I'd try something more interesting for the malt bill.

Believe OG was around 1.055 and attenuated very well down to 1.006 I believe, Abv would be 6.43%. No noticeable "boozyness".

Old 08-01-2013, 05:52 AM   #18
keesimps
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok; yeah, based on your comments and those of Cambridge Brewing's, I decided to embrace the Belgian characteristics, so am going to do a tripel with a more robust malt bill and a combination of wild rice and regular. Now, just have to get it into the queue... Thanks for the response and inspiration!

Old 08-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #19
fightingfreuds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Awesome, if you decide to build the yeast up using a rice starter method be sure to cherish the smell of moldy cheese, it'll stick with you for a while

Old 08-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #20
keesimps
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That's exactly what I was planning; thanks for the warning!

Quick Reply