Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > saison yeast evolution

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2012, 04:02 AM   #1
bosunbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default saison yeast evolution

So, I'm brewing a saison. Absolutely impressed with the yeast, crazy fermentation. Using WLP566, Belgian Saison II. So, does anyone know how this yeast evolved? Who started using this yeast, how long ago? I've read Farmhouse Ales, and the saison style has fascinated me. If this yeast evolved from naturally-occurring yeast in the air, a few hundred years ago, I'm interested if anyone knows why, and how... this yeast was naturally present in the air. Thank you!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1267 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 583

Saisons are fun.

I don't think they were generally spontaneous fermentations, though, at least not most of the time. On the top of p. 110 of Farmhouse Ales, the author states that Brewers repitched yeasts from previous batches, as was the conventional practice for all beer around then. This was certainly a slurry of pure brewers' yeasts, wild yeasts, and probably even lactobacillus, etc.

Yeast is everywhere. You can culture it from straight out of the air pretty much anywhere.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 10-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
bosunbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Yeah, I was pretty drunk when I posted and forgot some yeast basics. Maybe the specific type of yeast, being from the Belgian/French border, has something to do with the development of wine yeast. The yeast for saison beer is unlike any other beer yeast I'm aware of, but probably shares some characteristics with wine yeast. Well, it's an interesting subject to think about when having a few!

Quick Reply