Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Saison Dump or Saison Blend?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2010, 12:25 AM   #1
brispriggs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Saison Dump or Saison Blend?

Hi all, don't post much but need some advice on a beer style I've never even tasted, let alone brewed before! I brewed a Saison but messed up on the spice addition and added half an ounce of grains of paradise. Way too much? The beer tastes pretty peppery to me but is only at 1.02 and still sloooooowly dropping. Would blending it with another 5gal batch of unspiced Saison bring the level down enough, or should I give up and start over? Would love to hear your thoughts, really have been enjoying the wealth of brewing info on this site......Thanks[/CODE]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2010, 01:00 AM   #2
RiverCityBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't have much experience with grains of paradise (other than a few Sam Adams' brews) but I wouldn't make any judgments until fermentation has finished. I have made a few Belgians before and I can tell you that the final few gravity points make a pretty big difference in the beer. Besides, the peppery note you are tasting may very well fade with a little aging. I wouldn't dump it at all, keg or bottle it up and let it sit for a few months. Let us know how it comes out.

Joe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply