Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Safety Issues in Homebrewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2009, 04:29 PM   #11
Pivot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I dont have anything more safety wise when Im brewing then I do when I'm cooking

Primary
Dark Belgian, Hobgoblin Clone

Kegged
Dark Ale

Bottled
Fruit Braggot, EdWort's Apfelwein, Coffee American Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2009, 04:34 PM   #12
MississippiSlim
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Actually I am alot more conscious when I am cooking. You boil over your brew you make a mess. You boil over your turkey grease or Fish Grease...You have a FIRE!

Old 12-27-2009, 04:45 PM   #13
bradjoiner
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

for safe brew days i avoid driving to the brew store. whenever possible i order online. getting run over by some woman who is texting while driving down the freeway in her 4000 lb suv can realy f$#k up your bbrew day

Old 12-27-2009, 05:05 PM   #14
Hillbilly_Bill
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjoiner View Post
for safe brew days i avoid driving to the brew store. whenever possible i order online. getting run over by some woman who is texting while driving down the freeway in her 4000 lb suv can realy f$#k up your bbrew day
Brad... you only worry about getting run over on brew day? I am in the final stages of recovery from a head-on collision. A guy ran off of the road onto the shoulder and jerked his steering wheel hard left... all I remember is seeing the front end of his car coming at me and hearing the most God-awful noise I ever heard.
Funny... I never worried about that kind of thing before... now I do not go anywhere I do not have to... doctor, hospital lab... My wife makes all of the other trips... grocery store, etc.
Bill

Old 12-27-2009, 05:21 PM   #15
brewmonk
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Very sorry to hear about that HillBill, I was one car BEHIND a head on, saw their headlights go out, and slammed on my brakes. Dind't really know what to say, other than "You've been in an accident, don't move." The drunk got pinned in her Camaro by the dash and engine.

I also brew when my family is home (I watch my girls in the playroom nextdoor while mashing), so I really want as safe a system as possible, as easy to clean as possible, as good looking as optimal (beauty in functionality), and collapsible for storage or mobility without any sacrifice.

BTW, I do most of the cooking in our house. Havn't had a fire yet, but insurance should cover it. Trying to make sure that includes the basement too.

Reason: update

Old 12-27-2009, 05:29 PM   #16
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

I brew inside (propane) in cold weather, but it's a converted garage; concrete floor with a large window and the backdoor open. And a CO monitor.

I almost had a head-on a couple months ago. Some bozo decided to pass in a spot where he didn't have anywhere enough room. He guessed right in that I got my van out of his way.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-27-2009, 05:38 PM   #17
brewmonk
Recipes 

My safety argument w/ SWMBO for pumps an valves is the burns-n-slipping possibilities. I guess an anti-slip matt may help.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:47 AM   #18
brewmonk
Recipes 

And better lighting.

-I'm not getting older, but the floor is getting further away.

Old 12-28-2009, 04:25 AM   #19
IceFisherChris
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't take any special care except that I refuse to use a propane burner inside the house.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:34 PM   #20
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmonk View Post
Do you fireproof your brewing area? Brew with a fire extinguisher, a CO detector, first aid kit, ventilation? wood v.s. metal? gfci's? drink while you brew?

Please share any ideas. I'd love to see what I can incorporate in my brewroom.

_____

I built out a basement room (waterproofed cement walls) with metal studs (pressure treated footplate), cementboard walls, and as much tile as I could afford. I'll add more later.

I'm trying to slope the ceiling next, so condensation runs off more easily. And venting the steam should help. That's mostly for sanitation, but fireproofing as well.

I have not had my N.G. line extended yet. (I have to get electrical roughed in and inspected first.)

_______

I found this:
indoor propane
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/safe...indoors-51463/
I was a little surprised to look around under the stickies on this forum and discover that apparently no list of safety precautions exists. Oh, well.

1. I agree with a previous post, that basically all safety precautions used when cooking carry over to brewing. After all, what you're doing is heating / boiling stuff. Things are hot, particularly that large volume (3 gallons or more) of liquid that you're boiling, and this can cause very serious burns.

2. There's a lot of variance on this forum, but I'm in the camp that says the tubes don't get cracked until the wort is in the fermenter, i.e., no drinking while brewing.

3. I don't wear sandals or etc. while brewing; lace-up shoes only.

4. Lots of accidents seem to involve glass carboys; there have been some pretty gruesome ones detailed on this forum. Observe all safety precautions relating to glass. Don't knock the carboy against anything, don't put hot liquids (or very cold liquids) in a carboy. Any of these things can shock the glass, leading to a fracture, and glass is funny stuff, but not in a comical way. My glass carboys have been relegated to long-term secondary use only, and I've worked out my logistics so that I never have to do a lift / carry of a full carboy more than 5 feet. Ideally, do all lifting /carrying of a carboy in a Brew Hauler or milk crate.

5. Cooking with gas. On a regular indoor stove or cooktop, you're OK. Some people will bring a propane burner indoors to brew, but not me. If you must do this, ensure that you have a working CO (carbon monoxide) detector installed in the space you're using. I brew in the garage, but with all doors open. (Note that it is a detached garage- I won't live in a house with an attached garage, which may seem eccentric, but a look at the contents of many of them, they're just a disaster waiting to happen.)

6. Using electricity. I don't claim to be an expert on electrical safety, but I'm assuming that any electrical circuits that are brought into the brewing process should meet the NEC (National Electrical Code) for your type of operation. Given that liquids are involved, this probably means GFCIs, etc. There is a lot of good information on this subject on the Internet.

7. Distractions from whatever source should be minimized, and other persons around the brewing area can just mulitply the hazards. It may be fun to have friends or fellow brewers around, but the latter are probably best, since they know what they're doing. I brew alone, and don't mind.

That's all I can think of right now....

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Quick Reply