Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Is it safe to transport primary full of beer ready to bottle?
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2011, 02:12 AM   #1
Hefanatic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Is it safe to transport primary full of beer ready to bottle?

I need to bottle a batch of brew, and I wanted to do this with a buddy of mine. He lives roughly 20 minutes away. Is it safe to drive my primary over for bottling? Any risks involved?

“Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy.”- Frank Sinatra

“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.”- Frank Sinatra

Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2011, 02:17 AM   #2
jaythebassist
Recipes 

yeah it's fine. I've done it. In a bucket, I put it on the floor behind the passenger seat and sort of clamp it down with the seat (and hold onto it when I make turns).

Your best bet is to drop it off the day before to let the trub settle again (you're gonna stir it up), but in a pinch, an couple of hours are okay.

The risks are obvious--you're gonna be mad if you lose that beer!

Old 08-22-2011, 02:32 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

I sure the hell don't agree. All that sloshing is pretty much going to oxygentate the beer. Oxygen + fermented beer = liquid cardboard.

I would bottle it before you move them. That way they're in a sealed, air tight, environment.You can still let them condition.

It's not an airtight environment.

The only time it is truly safe to move a beer not in a keg or bottles is within the first 24-48 hours after yeast pitch. Before fermentation has really taken off. That way the yeast will use any of the oxygen that gets in there during the fermentation process.

Otherwise it's a crapshoot as to how the beer will turn out. Bottle it then move it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-22-2011, 02:36 AM   #4
Special Hops
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Revvy.

If the beer has been in the primary all of the oxygen is long gone and has been expelled by the CO2.

The sloshing will stir up the yeast. But how is oxygen getting into the primary. I am assuming your airlock is intact.

Up Next: Oatmeal Stout

Old 08-22-2011, 02:44 AM   #5
Celticway
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Rev's right. All that sloshing around is going to aerate the beer. Now that there is no ferm going on it will pull in outside air.

I am an advocate of don't worry, but in my opinion that is too risky for all your hard work.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:50 AM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Hops View Post
Revvy.

If the beer has been in the primary all of the oxygen is long gone and has been expelled by the CO2.

The sloshing will stir up the yeast. But how is oxygen getting into the primary. I am assuming your airlock is intact.
An airlock is hardly a suffient barrier in the case of heavy shaking to prevent oxygen from getting in. Hell, even under normal conditions it's not totally a safe barrier, ever see the thousands of threads we get about airlock suckback?

Besides, if he's ever opened his fermenter to take a grav reading, or to peak inside, he doesn't necessarily have a perfectly filled with co2 headspace.

You wanna try it? I can guarantee that if he bottles his beer and moves it, he won't oxygenate his beer, can you?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-22-2011, 03:00 AM   #7
Special Hops
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

So take the airlock out and seal it with a solid stopper.

Up Next: Oatmeal Stout

Old 08-22-2011, 03:02 AM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Hops View Post
And in doing so you just pushed a bunch of room air inside the headspace, which is going to get sloshed around and possibly oxygenate your beer once you start driving down the road.

Of course it could also work loose during transport as well.

OP, just invite your buddy over to your place to bottle the beer. Then you 100% know you won't be risking it. Anything else is a crapshoot.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:04 AM   #9
binkman
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Hops
Like a bottle cap. But first put it in 12 oz. bottles.
Bottled: B'more Malty Pale Ale — Orfy's Bitter — Swinging Hammock Summer Kölsch — Dry-Hopped Bitter — Apfelwein — Pumpkin ale — B'more Malty Pale Ale — Kitchen Sink Red — Cider — Spontaneous Cider — Armistice Barleywine
Revvy Likes This 
Old 08-22-2011, 03:08 AM   #10
JKoravos
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts

Revvy is way overplaying it IMO, especially considering that you are going to be bottle conditioning the beer immediately after moving it. Unless you're laying this beer down for long term aging, I wouldn't worry about it.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply