Rye-PA fruit or spice additions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainlife

Reaction score
Made a session IPA w about 15% rye in it 2 weeks ago, I think I'm going to bottle 3 of the 5 gals this weekend, and play around with the other 2 by making 2 different flavored 1 gallon variants. Any suggestions what flavored pair well with rye? I'm very open to any crazy suggestions and will gladly post results for any who are interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Rye and citrus. I did a crazy good lemon rye saison hopped with a ton of sorachi ace... the rye spice pairs well with citric acid. As far as spices are concerned... i like pine with rye. Again, it's a nice complement to rye's flavor.

For a fruit id do blood orange.

For for a spice id do rosemary as you can't get spruce tips yet.

I'd like to know what you do and how it turns out!

I found I LOVE rye when I tried a rye wit at a local brew pub, and jumped into partial mashes as I had to make a rye pale, which was nice. Now I look up and down for rye including bourbon. I'm a sucker I suppose!

If you like spice, I have a Habanero Rye IPA on tap right now that is out of this world. It doesn't have an overwhelming heat to it, just enough to know its there. I used one whole habanero for 5 gallons.

Hmmmm…

I must say I love some heat. Mind sharing your recipe?

My recipe is all AG so if your doing partial mashes you will just have to get creative with your extracts, but here ya go.
5 gallons batch
9.5 lbs american 2 row
1 lb flaked rye
2 lb rye malt
12 oz crystal 60
8 oz flaked barley
8 oz cara pils
8 oz rice hulls

60 min boil
1 oz simcoe @ 60 min
.5 oz cascade @ 20 min
.5 oz citra @ 10min
.5 oz cascade @ 5 min
.5 oz citra @ flameout

WYeast 1056

1 sterilized split Habanero in secondary for 1 week.

How long do you leave your flameout hop addition?

I do partial mashes, but I'll adjust.

You mentioned flavor without much heat (IIRC)? I'm wondering what one in the boil (10 mins) and one as a "dry hop" addition would do for it. I like some heat as long as you can drink a few.

I leave the flame out hops in for only a minute or 2 then cool the wort right away. I have never tried using the Habanero in the boil seeing as one in the secondary is plenty for me. 2 peppers might be a bit much especially if you are going to boil one, so I suggest boiling one and tasting it after it ferments to see if you want more.

I'm still lost on what the boil vs "dry hop" offers as to flavor and heat with peppers.

Back