Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Ruthless Rye

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2012, 01:20 AM   #11
jtfisher63
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Alright, I've gotta go get some right now. I'll report back later with a newbie review.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #12
jtfisher63
Recipes 

So I went and bought a six pack of this last night. It was way more hoppy and bitter than I was expecting. I am not a hop head and am pretty new to the craft beers too though. It does have a delicious wheat and rye flavor with some sweetness. At 6.6% ABV and after 5 of these I was feeling pretty damn good! Awesome label too BTW.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #13
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1193

Sweet, i was reading some reviews and a hop head had said it wasnt hoppy enough.
@jtfisher63 I was wondering what you think about the SN Torpedo then? I remember when i was getting into craft beers and had that and was blown away at the bitter,now its about average as far as bitter/hoppy. The bar has been raised so much though,and there are alot of overthetop beers. Plus i probably suffer from the Lupilin Threshold.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #14
jtfisher63
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmohno View Post
Sweet, i was reading some reviews and a hop head had said it wasnt hoppy enough.
@jtfisher63 I was wondering what you think about the SN Torpedo then? I remember when i was getting into craft beers and had that and was blown away at the bitter,now its about average as far as bitter/hoppy. The bar has been raised so much though,and there are alot of overthetop beers. Plus i probably suffer from the Lupilin Threshold.
I haven't tried the Torpedo, but the SN Pale Ale is too hoppy for me, so I'd get bitter beer face for sure from Torpedo. I was talking to my wife last night about if my perception or palate will change towards hops the deeper I get into craft beers. This happened sort of when I became a foodie of sorts. I began to appreciate some foods that I previously didn't like, fennal for example. I have no idea what "Lupilin Threshold" is BTW.

Last edited by jtfisher63; 01-07-2012 at 04:52 PM.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #15
jtfisher63
Recipes 

"Lupilin Threshold". I just read up on this, interesting for sure.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:54 AM   #16
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1193

No offense. But a Hoptimum or Hopslam could possibly blow your head off at your stage then.. Dont try this at home. unless you have tried like 30 differernt ipa's/pale ales, that may put you in the boat. But really good ipa's are pretty balanced, if you had a strong beer with high ibu's but a good malt balance it really doesnt seem that bitter. Most of them are pretty balanced, west coast ipa's are generally hop forward though. Try a Bell's 2 hearted or Ranger.YOur already a hophead without knowing it. It only takes a few good balanced ipa's. I used to think SN Pale ale was the most bitter,now i cant get enough.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:23 AM   #17
Wetfoot
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

On the shelves in Kentucky. Bitter as expected with trademark grapefruit. Rye adds spiciness and maybe astringency to go with hop bitterness? Long bitter finish. Don't see how this would pair with food...would blow away any other flavor. Good for sipping and football watching.

Maybe pair with a shot of Buffalo Trace. BT has rye in the grist.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #18
bosunbrew
Recipes 

Looking forward to trying this. I'm a big fan of all Sierra Nevada beers. The label is awesome on this one, spent too much time this morning checking out some of Ken Taylor's other artwork online. My next brew is going to be a rye pale ale, so I'll have this and Terrapin's to try alongside my homebrew.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:52 AM   #19
jtfisher63
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmohno View Post
No offense. But a Hoptimum or Hopslam could possibly blow your head off at your stage then.. Dont try this at home. unless you have tried like 30 differernt ipa's/pale ales, that may put you in the boat. But really good ipa's are pretty balanced, if you had a strong beer with high ibu's but a good malt balance it really doesnt seem that bitter. Most of them are pretty balanced, west coast ipa's are generally hop forward though. Try a Bell's 2 hearted or Ranger.YOur already a hophead without knowing it. It only takes a few good balanced ipa's. I used to think SN Pale ale was the most bitter,now i cant get enough.
I want to like hoppy beer, but just don't yet. I'll take your advise and try a more balanced IPA.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #20
JeffBeck
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Big SN fan, Torp, celebration, Bigfoot, Harvest, Tumbler, Glissade.

Ruthless here in St louis, was not impressed at all with it. It's ok but nothing special or that I will buy again. Hearing it's replacing Glissade is disturbing.
Bring on the Bigfoot!

An Old Rasputin a day keeps the doctor away!

Quick Reply