Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Russian River Consecration Food Pairing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2009, 12:48 AM   #1
mkade
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Russian River Consecration Food Pairing

I picked up a bottle of Consecration from Russian River over the weekend, and I was wondering what I should prepare to eat with it. I was wondering if anyone had good food pairings with it. To make things more difficult, my New Year's Resolution was to go pescetarian, so no meat besides seafood is allowed. Any and all advice or banter is desired.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2009, 12:58 AM   #2
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You could go with something like a strong blue cheese. Maybe a crostini with rosemary. I think it would pair perfectly with dark chocolate, as well. You'd want fatty and bold, and I hate to say it, but I think lamb or a great marbled steak would compliment it perfectly.

This will not hold up with fish. It is too overpowering and you'll be mismatched. Go for dessert with this beer or with a strong cheese.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:00 AM   #3
Casey27
Recipes 

You probably shouldn't try this, but I was drinking it in a bar when a friend's birthday cake (homemade banana cake) was served and the sourness of the Consecration cut right through the sweetness of the cake...was a totally random pairing but it was memorable.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:01 AM   #4
ChrisKennedy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Dry sour beers with sweet desserts can be amazing.

Surprisingly, Cantillon Kriek with Vanilla Wafers is quite delicious.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:04 AM   #5
mkade
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
You could go with something like a strong blue cheese. Maybe a crostini with rosemary. I think it would pair perfectly with dark chocolate, as well. You'd want fatty and bold, and I hate to say it, but I think lamb or a great marbled steak would compliment it perfectly.

This will not hold up with fish. It is too overpowering and you'll be mismatched. Go for dessert with this beer or with a strong cheese.
I totally believe you about the lamb or steak, so maybe I should just hold onto the beer for the new year (or better yet, buy a new one). The blue cheese does sound really intriguing though. Thanks to everyone for the advice, and please keep it coming.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:17 AM   #6
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

It'll age just fine. Remember that when thinking about Consecration, you have to treat it like a sour, but remember that the flavors from the Cabernet and currants really make this beer. So while something like a petrus aged pale might be ok with a fish dish of some sort, this one is just too much.

Quick Reply