Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Running low (aka how do you get a pipeline?)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2011, 07:37 PM   #1
Whippy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Default Running low (aka how do you get a pipeline?)

This sucks...

Maybe I drink too much...maybe I don't brew enough...whatever it is, I just can NOT seem to keep a good beer pipeline going!

I have tried brewing three beers in one weekend, I have tried brewing every other weekend, I have tried supplimenting my supply with store beer, NOTHING WORKS!

Don't get me wrong, there HAVE been times where I have had abundance on hand, but Ialways seem to end up where I am now...trying to stretch like 9 12oz and a couple or few 22oz bottles out so they will last until the next beer is ready.

I can't be the ONLY person here with this problem!

What do you do during these down times? Are you patient and just wait? Do you drink up what you have left? Do you go buy beer ? ? ?

Two weeks to ferment, two more in the kegs
but in just one night it was drained to the dregs

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2011, 07:43 PM   #2
glockentalk
Recipes 

I found that having 3 fermenters really solves the problem. (Full disclosure: I use liquid kits). Three seems to be the magic number for making sure that I have enough for short, medium and long term. The other thing is to make sure that you make quick-maturing beer like pale ale the backbone of your operation. Pale ale only needs about 2 weeks in the fermenter and 2 days in the keg before it is good to go.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 12

A. To get a pipeline going, you need to brew more than you drink. For at least 2-3 batches. Keep track of the dates you put a batch in bottles/keg, and the date it's empty. That way you'll know how fast you drink it. Then just brew more often than that.

B. The more room in your pipeline the better. My personal bottleneck is kegs: I have 4. Two beers on tap, one cold conditioning and carbing, and one aging. I wish i had room for at least two more kegs in the keezer.

C. When I'm running low, I just drink less, or buy store bought beer. The Total Wine by me has a huge selection, and they let you build your own six-pack.

D. What glockentalk said. I can turn almost any 1.050 or smaller beer around in about 14-21days (grain to glass). Small beers can really help boost your pipeline, and are usually nice session beers.

E. Once you do manage to get a pipeline going, make sure to maintain it at the pace you drink. Always keep track of those dates in step A. if you go through a keg quickly, plan another brew day to replace it.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:52 PM   #4
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 128

When I brew I usually do 2 batches at a time, I also tend to do 10 gallon batches, brew every weekend or every other weekend and you will have lots of beer on hand, I also try to brew a quick beer and a beer that takes longer to condition at once, so there is always beer at the ready.

Here are a couple things that help me get a beer from grain to glass quickly...

* Good water
* Fresh ingredients
* Proper pitching volume
* Kegging
* Temp controlled fermentation chamber
* High grav beers or spiced etc. beers take a while to meld/mellow so they take longer.
* If you dont do anything to cause or promote off-flavors, there is nothing to age out of the beer so it is ready for drinkin faster.

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 09-26-2011, 07:58 PM   #5
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 128

I entered a beer in a comp that was judged 11 days after it was brewed and did pretty good considering.

Some feel that even smaller beers needs to sit for a month before being ready to drink, Brew an English mild and try it after 2 weeks, then revisit it after a month or two, it starts to go downhill flavorwise.

I have Milds, Ordinary bitters, and Hefes that are pouring from my taps 2-3 weeks after brewing, with fast beers like that the long lagtime between batches is cut down dramatically.

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 09-26-2011, 07:58 PM   #6
mlg5039
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

In addition to what has already been said, I also like to mix it up, brewing low gravity beers intermixed with some big beers that require extended aging. That way its not all ready to drink. I have 3 beers in fermenters right now. One batch that is ready to drink now, one to drink on Halloween/Thanksgiving/christmas, and one to drink next year :-)

It is not certain that everything is uncertain.

Primary:BCS Clone
Secondary:Oud bruin (2), Raspberry melomel
Bottled: Oktoberfest, Imperial Punkin
Kegged: Wild Ale, Dark Mild
Gallons to date 2012: 47

Old 09-26-2011, 08:06 PM   #7
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 22 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 325 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It's really as simple as brewing more than you drink/give away...Even when you have a lot on hand, brew something. And in those situations when you have a lot, this just means you have a bit more time before it needs to be ready, thus you can brew a bigger beer.

I don't see how you could brew 3 beers in one weekend and then brew one every other weekend and run out...you must have waited too long to brew the next batches.

Or, if I am wrong, then you sir...just plain drink a lot of beer.

I got three on tap with two fermenting...one keg is about to go, which coincides perfectly with the next one that is to fill it's spot. The other in the fermenter is a stout that I want to sit for a while.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:06 PM   #8
edecambra
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I agree with proper fermentation. If you ferment well, with proper temps and pitching rates your beer will be done much faster. How do you think brew pubs do it with beer ready in a week out two? I know so many people on here say you must do a month primary at least, but I have done one ot two week ferms with good results.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:08 PM   #9
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 373 Times on 304 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
I found that having 3 fermenters really solves the problem.
+1. I have three fermenters so I can brew every week and keep the beer in a fermenter for 3 weeks.Natural rotation.

I also have a couple of 5 gallon carboys that I brew 4 gallon batches in, mostly beers that need more time, like some of the bigger Belgians. That way I can brew those up without messing up my normal pipeline.

Eventually you will build up extra brews to have in your pipeline. Mine was very good, with a nice selection of beers, but during the summer a couple of trips and some other things that broke my normal cycle caused my pipeline to get much lower than I like, and I did not want to get into some of the beers that I am aging for later consumption I have been back to my normal rotation and it is finally starting to build up again.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:08 PM   #10
LVBen
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 52

BREW MORE!!!

It really really really is that simple!

Quick Reply