Rough brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassbone

Reaction score
Argh!

Just got done brewing the Sans Le Chat recipe from wild brews.

Tested my immersion chiller before using. And then it sprung a leak and added a gallon of water to the boiled down wort. Ended up .020 below starting gravity with 6 gallons instead of 5. No time to boil down back to the correct volume, so I guess I just made a big batch of a session sour instead of what I wanted.

F%*#!!!!!

Pull a gallon off after it finishes fermenting and pretend its an Eisbock :)

I've tried this on several styles of beers to make imperial versions. Its fun to play with.
Just a note. Carbonated beer will make a HUGE mess when it freezes. Tends to make frozen fountains. Leave lots of headspace (purge with c02 or squeeze it out)

or dump in a pound of honey or molasses (depending on what kind of ale it is...)

Yeah, i'm between just letting it go as is (it is starting at 1.045) and adding DME.

Don't think there is space to add anything else to the fermenter unless I pour off some of the beer, which i'm not inclined to do.

Or maybe i'll just pull off and bottle a gallon at the weaker strength once it is done, and top the other 5 gallons off with honey or DME to make most of the batch the correct gravity.

update on this:

Just bottled it yesterday (it was already down to 1.006 and had some very nice funkiness going on). I ended up leaving it alone and let it run its course.

The sample I tasted was quite good! I'm looking forward to this one being carbed up.

Back