Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Rotting Strawberries? Can that happen?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2011, 07:34 PM   #1
gregger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Rotting Strawberries? Can that happen?

So this flavor of my beer has caused psychological problems. Think of a woman you once loved dumped you or cheated on you, and it in turned has caused you to hate all women... that's kind of like where I'm at. I seriously can't shake the thought of how this beer tastes. It makes me not want beer ever again. But now that a few days have past I'm starting to do much better, but man that taste is like a thorn in my side.

I made a blonde ale that I racked to secondary on top of 6lbs of strawberries. The strawberries were fresh, chopped up, frozen and then thawed. After 6 days I removed the strawberries, which were a grayish color now, however the smell wasn't all that different from regular strawberries. I didn't taste the beer at this point but I did taste it before the strawberries were added. It was pretty darn good.

Well, after the bottles conditioned and I refrigerated a couple, I started to drink them. The taste was tolerable at first, but got worst. And by worst I mean that I started to notice it more and more. I've never tasted a rotten strawberry before but I think this is what happened.

Is it possible for the fruit to rot in your beer and transfer that rotten fruit taste over into it? I've never tasted anything like this before but it is just horrible. It doesn't make me physically sick, just mentally sick. I have no plans of dumping it out anytime soon.

Can fruit rot while it's in your beer?!

Bottled: Oat Red Ale, Peach Wheat, Strawberry Dirty Blonde Ale, Brown Sugar IPA

In line: Cucumber Summer Blonde, Kona Pipeline Porter Clone, Bacon Porter

The best yet: St. Nick's Dirty Stout (Vanilla Gingerbread Stout) - guessed at the recipe when boiling, didn't write anything down... DAMN.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2011, 07:43 PM   #2
Toga
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Fruit will not rot while in the beer. The alcohol prevents this.

How long have the bottles been conditioning?

Old 05-27-2011, 07:56 PM   #3
zolakk
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Sometimes it takes a long time for the flavor to come out, be patient. My brother made a pumpkin beer that tasted like burning tires for almost two months after bottling but after that, it was the best pumpkin beer I have ever tasted.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:28 PM   #4
gregger
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toga View Post

Up until this point about 3 weeks. When I tried the first samples that tasted like a butt maybe 10 days.

The best yet: St. Nick's Dirty Stout (Vanilla Gingerbread Stout) - guessed at the recipe when boiling, didn't write anything down... DAMN.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:47 PM   #5
Toga
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Let it sit for another week or longer to further condition before trying it again. Some brews simply take longer to condition. For the most part a horrible beer if let sit to condition will turn out good over time. I had one I brewed up near the end of last summer. It was drinkable but not what it should have been (brewed this one many times before)............I let it sit until a month ago sampling a beer here and there. I downed one of the last 6 bottles last night and it was awesome.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:56 PM   #6
paraordnance
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

this is scary and disturbing thread for me to discover. I just chopped up and froze 3 lbs of fresh strawberries yesterday so I can later rack 5 gal of Belgian Blond on top. Now I really start to wonder. May be I should just add strawberry/kiwi juice to my beer instead of fresh fruit.

Were your strawberries rotten or started to spoil before you added them? May be over rippen? I really don't want to waste 5 gal of perfectly fine Belgian Blonde

Old 05-27-2011, 09:10 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toga View Post

Sure it does! Maybe not rot in the sense of bacteria eating it, but certainly it will break down and decompose. I usually rack my wines off of the fruit in 5 days or so, for that reason. If the strawberries lost their color and turned into a gray mush, I'd say that process was pretty far along.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:29 PM   #8
gregger
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Sure it does! Maybe not rot in the sense of bacteria eating it, but certainly it will break down and decompose. I usually rack my wines off of the fruit in 5 days or so, for that reason. If the strawberries lost their color and turned into a gray mush, I'd say that process was pretty far along.
They weren't mush just yet, but they definitely lost there color. sh*t sh*t sh*t sh*t sh*t I had such high hopes for this beer. Had I known this is even a possibility, I would of used strawberry extract. All those threads about adding fruit to beer doesn't mention this. I could've even pureed them.

The strawberries were bought fresh, chopped, and frozen all within a few hours. They froze in the freezer for about 3 days. Added them to beer after an overnight thaw.

DAMNIT. Doesn't make me feel any better that I've drank rotten strawberry beer. I should toss it just for the sake of revenge against the strawberries. F*ck me and the horse I rode in on. I'm getting drunk tonight. But I ain't touching the rotten strawberry blonde.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:07 PM   #9
paraordnance
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
so you suggest to take them earlier off the berries? I really don't want to be in OP shoes, I now think I should avoid fresh fruit and add juice

Old 05-27-2011, 11:09 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraordnance View Post
so you suggest to take them earlier off the berries? I really don't want to be in OP shoes, I now think I should avoid fresh fruit and add juice
I'm guessing that the temperature was probably fairly warm, to break down that fast. In my experience, at 65 degrees, fruit breaks down a bit more slowly but I've never left fruit in my wine (don't make fruit beer) more than about 5 days.

Quick Reply