Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Root beer question.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2007, 10:42 PM   #1
Szerek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Root beer question.

Hello All. I'm another noobie when it comes to homebrewing. I've been reading up on it for the last 3 weeks in preparation for my first brew either this weekend or next.

Since I've decided to embark on this adventure one thing came up from my parents and my kids. That was home made root beer. I've been doing the research, and since I don't have any way to force carbonation and I don't want grenades going off in the house I'll not be making it that way.

However, I thought about using splenda and making a diet type root beer (which is what we drink now for soda). Bakers splenda is sucralose (non-fermentable) and maltodextrin (from what I've seen about 4% fermentable).

I was wondering if it would be possible to mix up 5 gallons of splenda water + extract and then add about 3/4 cup of sugar and ale yeast before bottling as a primer.

I plan on using 16oz. PET bottles to bottle. (Barqs and Mug bottles).

Anyone have any thoughts on this? There would be very little sugar content, verly little alchohol content and should get some carbonation. Theoretically.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2007, 10:45 PM   #2
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

That should work but you may what find out how many volumes Rootbeer is carbonated at and then check on a carbonation calculator to find out how much priming sugar you want to use to get to the proper level of carbonation.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:50 PM   #3
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 604 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I use a homemade version of this to force carbonate homemade soda. You can carbonate anything with it (I don't recommend milk...don't ask how I know). Crystal Light and other drink mixes taste great with bubbles! Of course, this little gadget does require you to have a CO2 tank available.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:58 PM   #4
Szerek
Recipes 

No CO2 tank here or i'd do it that way.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:00 AM   #5
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szerek
No CO2 tank here or i'd do it that way.
Don't spend too long on this forum...you'll soon jump on the all grain brewing, large batch, kegging bandwagon! You'll have no shortage of CO2 then!

Welcome, by the way!

Old 03-28-2007, 12:22 AM   #6
Szerek
Recipes 

Thanks for the welcome but I think my finances will keep me in check. I don't have more money than to be able to do simple extract brews right now.

To the carbonation volumes of root beer. the best I've found is about 3.0.. And from what I've seen at room temp I'd need about 5.7 ounces of corn sugar for 5 gallons.. does that sound right?

Old 03-28-2007, 12:39 AM   #7
Kayos
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Just an FYI...I just made some root beer for the kids for the fisrt time and found out some good tidbits....

1. It doesn't taste "root beer" like when you mix it all up. DO NOT ADD more extract. I did and it tasted nasty. Too harsh on the palate after bottling/priming.

2. 5 gallons is a huge amount of root beer without a keg. You really have to fridge it after carbonating to keep from fermenting. Even with the recipe you suggested. Maybe cut on half or at least make sur eyou have the room for it all.

3. Good idea with the PET bottles, that way you can tell when it is good and carbonated and ready to drink.

4. I would get a paintball CO2 next time I do the recipe. It is just too much of a PITa without force carbing. Product not worth the price or even the fun kid time without getting a little CO2 bottle. Consider it part of the recipe cost.

Have fun and let me know how it turns out!!!

Old 03-28-2007, 12:41 AM   #8
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Szerek...what was your recipe for root beer? I've yet to find a good one, and my only extract experience wasn't a good one - I'm positive I mixed it at the right concentration, but the taste just wasn't all that impressive.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:52 AM   #9
Szerek
Recipes 

Yuri, I haven't found one yet. I'm still looking, but it will definately be done as a diet with Splenda. I have a feeling it will take some tweaking, but I'm going to browse for some ideas tonight and tomorrow.

Sugared root beer is just too dangerous for my liking.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:05 AM   #10
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just out of curiosity, but wouldn't the yeast produce some alcohol to? Making this a hard root beer?

Quick Reply