Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Root Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2007, 01:42 PM   #1
Todd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Root Beer

Hey guys, I tried my first batch of root beer this past week. The flavor is great but I'm having some issues with carbonation. I kegged it at 30psi and when I pour the glass it fizzes like crazy but after a few seconds it appears mostly flat. Is this normal for Root Beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2007, 02:43 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

At 30 psi you'll need 15 feet of 3/16th line to avoid losing all of the fizz. I run my soda water at #25 and have a 12' line.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-19-2007, 03:01 PM   #3
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Oh, well if I only have a 5 foot line what should I do?

Old 06-19-2007, 03:55 PM   #4
jammer
Recipes 

get more tubing.........

or you could decrease your serving pressure, roughly 13 -15 psi or so off the top of my head. but then you would have less carbonation.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:04 PM   #5
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer
get more tubing.........

or you could decrease your serving pressure, roughly 13 -15 psi or so off the top of my head. but then you would have less carbonation.

Problem is my hbs only sells it in 5 foot sections. I guess I'll have to order some. I get a lot of foaming with my beer as well, would more length be the answer there as well?

Beer is at 10psi.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:28 PM   #6
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

I serve my root beer at 40˚F and 25 psi through 35' of 3/16" ID beverage tubing to get a perfect pour and perfect level of carbonation. I know that 35' seems like a lot, but after much experimentation and glasses of foam this is what I have found to work the best. The 35' of tubing is neatly coiled up and zip tied in the back of my keg fridge.

The rule of thumb is 2 psi pressure drop per foot of 3/16" ID beverage tubing, but as the volume of CO2 is increased the effective pressure drop will be less than 2 psi/ft. At 3.5-4.0 volumes of CO2, the effective pressure drop per foot of 3/16" ID line is less than 1 psi/ft. Before I learned this fact I had 20' of tubing, but could not serve anything but foam at my desired level of carbonation. I did not want to compromise my desired carbonation level so I started with 40' but the pour was too slow. The carbonation was fine, there was no foaming but the pour was just too slow. I cut off 5' and found the sweet spot.

You can serve carbonated water at the same temperature/pressure with a much shorter length of tubing, but the sugar in the root beer will cause the CO2 to be knocked out of solution if you don't use a line length that is long enough.

Last edited by johnsma22; 06-19-2007 at 04:31 PM.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:37 PM   #7
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Guys thanks a ton. Do you know a good source for a large volume of line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsma22
I serve my root beer at 40˚F and 25 psi through 35' of 3/16" ID beverage tubing to get a perfect pour and perfect level of carbonation. I know that 35' seems like a lot, but after much experimentation and glasses of foam this is what I have found to work the best. The 35' of tubing is neatly coiled up and zip tied in the back of my keg fridge.

The rule of thumb is 2 psi pressure drop per foot of 3/16" ID beverage tubing, but as the volume of CO2 is increased the effective pressure drop will be less than 2 psi/ft. At 3.5-4.0 volumes of CO2, the effective pressure drop per foot of 3/16" ID line is less than 1 psi/ft. Before I learned this fact I had 20' of tubing, but could not serve anything but foam at my desired level of carbonation. I did not want to compromise my desired carbonation level so I started with 40' but the pour was too slow. The carbonation was fine, there was no foaming but the pour was just too slow. I cut off 5' and found the sweet spot.

You can serve carbonated water at the same temperature/pressure with a much shorter length of tubing, but the sugar in the root beer will cause the CO2 to be knocked out of solution if you don't use a line length that is long enough.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:43 PM   #8
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd
Guys thanks a ton. Do you know a good source for a large volume of line?
Any hardware store.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:50 PM   #9
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
Any hardware store.
Ok, I was assuming I needed something special. Just get regular pcv line?

Old 06-19-2007, 05:00 PM   #10
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

You do need something special. You can't get 3/16" ID thick walled, smooth bore, foam free beverage tubing at any hardware store that I have ever seen. You can get it at a per/ft price at any of the online homebrew supply stores, like MoreBeer, Northern Brewer, Williams, Austin HomeBrew or Micromatic, etc.

That is the stuff you need. Anything else and you will have nothing but problems.

Quick Reply