Rocky Mountian Oyster Stout -- THIS TIME IT'S *REAL*!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes indeed unionrdr, lets hope they were well washed or the brew could be a bit too salty. But I still think I'll have to pass regardless of hygiene.;)

Makes me think of zack gilifinakus (or however you spell his name) with all his meat beers in the wild wings commercial that was posted on another thread.

Heh, at only 3 BPP (balls per barrel), I doubt you can taste anything from the "oysters" other than they also added some more salt on top of the 3 BPP.

Good. Like I said in my earlier thread, we need feedback from GABF attendees. If it's well received, maybe the BPB race can begin.

I'll see if I can get my dad and brother to try it, too. My brother *might* be on board, but I wouldn't hold my breath for my dad. Maybe I'll have to get him try it involuntarily. *evil grin*

Heh, at only 3 BPP (balls per barrel), I doubt you can taste anything from the "oysters" other than they also added some more salt on top of the 3 BPP.

My point exactly...I'd try it... I think it's more of a mental thing...I actually had a (regular) oyster stout (Flying Dog's Pearl Necklace) for the first time recently, and if I hadn't known it was an oyster stout, I probably wouldn't have know it was anything other than a somewhat rich, full bodied American stout.

I tried a few sips of the Voodoo Doughnut the other night at the homebrew meeting.. Nasty as heck of course from their house smoked hickory malt but besides that there really wasn't any "meat" character. I don't think a few nuts would do any better.

An oyster stout called pearle neckless. The pearle neckless I was thinkin of doesn't come from oysters in the strict sense. :D:drunk: More of a ZZTop thang...

I tried it at the GABF last week. It tasted like a pretty standard American stout. Maybe it was just my mind playing tricks on me, but it did seem to have a certain "meatiness" to it...

Makes me think of zack gilifinakus (or however you spell his name) with all his meat beers in the wild wings commercial that was posted on another thread.

That wasn't Zach, just some dude that looked like him.

Rev.

I also tried it at GABF, but I didn't think it was anything other than your typical stout. My dad swore up and down he could taste the bull nuts in there, but they weren't there. He only claimed this after finding out it was brewed with bull nuts. Anyway, I thought it was good, but if not for the name I wouldn't think it was brewed with anything other than standard ingredients.

sonofgrok said:
You should have asked him how the hell he recognizes the taste of bull nuts.

We did, but all he would say is that he couldn't drink it cause of the bull nuts. He took one sip and pours the rest of the sample out. He's just getting into craft beer, so I'm actually thankful he didn't punch me or brother in face after finding out what was in the beer.

I tried it last Thursday before I went to GABF. It wasn't bad, actually a good stout. I never had rocky mountain oysters so I wouldn't be able to say if it tasted like them at all or not. My friend said it did and he loved it. I guess once you get past the whole "balls" part of it it's not to bad haha.

I tried it at GABF as well. After all of the delicious sours I had been consuming I would have been hard pressed to notice any subtle flavors like rocky mountain oyster essence. Still, balls in beer is gross. The real winner of the meat beer category was the chocolate lobster beer from Dogfish Head. It tasted like chocolate and was fairly silky (lobster fat?). Not amazing but way better than the stout from Wynkoop.

My (vegetarian) fiancee and I were in Denver over the weekend, so we met her brother and sister-in-law at Wynkoop for a quick pint before going to dinner. I decided to try the bull ball beer. I can't say I could taste the Rocky Mountain oysters, per se, but there was a very slight umami sort of brothiness in the finish. It might've just been my mind filling it in, though. Overall, it wasn't a particularly good stout, and I wouldn't order it again.

The best part of the experience was undoubtedly the description on the receipt!

photo8-56959.jpg

Yeah man,"ball stout". BWaaaahahahaaaa! I guess it takes real balls to brew a stout like this!...:D That's one for the teste brothers...

Back