Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Rock Island brewers HELP!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2011, 01:50 AM   #11
jonmohno
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1192

Brew with half filtered/half regular than.If you have ph papers you can check your mash ph.You need campden tablets if you have chlorimine. Filters dont filter chlorimine.
For the most part it will turn out good,you know its hard so just try half of it filtered.Or just filter it all and use brewing salts.Get rid of that cholorime though.Or just buy spring water if its that important to you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2011, 12:34 PM   #12
mrmuskie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Im brewing a hoppy pale ale for my first batch. And no, no softner (thats a no no). Ive got a charcoal filter so the chlorine/chloramine prob should be a non factor. i test the tap water ph last night and got about a 6.8-7.0 so with the acid from my grains i might be in range. i put the grain bill below.

- -8 lbs. Rahr 2-Row Pale malt
- -0.5 lbs. Belgian Caramel Pils
- -0.5 lbs. Simpsons Caramalt

Old 10-01-2011, 11:36 PM   #13
djfriesen
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Did you see jonmohno's post above? This is something I wasn't previously aware of, being so new, but filters are not effective against chloramine, it would seem. Might want to pick up some campden tabs for that issue. Or just brew a small batch and see if it's an issue or not.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:59 PM   #14
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1192

Brewing salts dont make water softer either,whatever that no-no is about. Gypsym or cl2 for instance harden your soft filtered or distilled water. I was gonna post the same thing - djfriesen. I used baking soda a few times to raise the ph.
Also you want to test your mash ideally,unless you can figure out where to go once you know your water ph which would seem hard figuring what type of grains your using.
I still would try half r/o +half hard tap - the chloromine.

Old 10-02-2011, 04:43 AM   #15
mrmuskie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was just saying people generaly say if your house has a water softner you shouldnt use that water at all. i did see that chloramine comment and i will be picking up some campden tabs.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:34 PM   #16
bh10
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmohno View Post
Brew with half filtered/half regular than.If you have ph papers you can check your mash ph.You need campden tablets if you have chlorimine. Filters dont filter chlorimine.
For the most part it will turn out good,you know its hard so just try half of it filtered.Or just filter it all and use brewing salts.Get rid of that cholorime though.Or just buy spring water if its that important to you.
The spring water we get is extremely hard to around here, unforunately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmuskie View Post
Im brewing a hoppy pale ale for my first batch. And no, no softner (thats a no no). Ive got a charcoal filter so the chlorine/chloramine prob should be a non factor. i test the tap water ph last night and got about a 6.8-7.0 so with the acid from my grains i might be in range. i put the grain bill below.

- -8 lbs. Rahr 2-Row Pale malt
- -0.5 lbs. Belgian Caramel Pils
- -0.5 lbs. Simpsons Caramalt
For what you're doing Id use a 2 to 1 or a 3 to 1 ratio of distilled to tapped water. If you can try to get a couple ounces for acid malt around 2% of the grist, and add 1tsp of gypsum and calcium chloride per 5 gallons of mash water.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:34 PM   #17
subliminalurge
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I've done 4 batches now since moving to Moline using the water straight out of the tap. Beer's fine.

No idea if we're on the same water supply or not.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:38 PM   #18
mrmuskie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yeah i dont know if it the same or not... i dont think it is but who knows. how are you treating your water for chloraimines? where do you get your brewing supplies? any good local shops?

Old 10-03-2011, 01:27 PM   #19
subliminalurge
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Haven't been doing anything for chloramines so far. Haven't really noticed any problems because of it, but I should probably take a look at doing something.

Only shop I've found so far is Camp McClellan Cellars. It's a nice enough place, but small and geared mostly toward wine it seems, so you'll pretty much just find the basics there. Prices on what they do carry are decent enough, cheaper than or the same as buying online once you factor in shipping. What I can't buy there I still order from Midwest.

Definitely have my ears open for any other shops on the area.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:01 PM   #20
gomb
Recipes 

I just saw this, sorry for the late reply. I live in Bettendorf and the only thing I do with my water is run it through the brita filter I have on my faucet. Any off flavors I've had can be linked to fermentation temps or old LME.

Quick Reply