Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > RIS-12% not carbing after 90 days

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #11
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Give it more time before you make any changes. Bottling without adding more yeast, that close to the tolerance of the yeast will make carbonation take longer. Adding fresh yeast, to something with that high of an ABV (already) can be tricky. You can shock the yeast that you add, making it take longer to carbonate. You can also have bottle bombs due to wine yeast eating sugars that the beer yeast won't.

Wyeast 1728 can go beyond 12%. Since you have SOME carbonation already, just give it more TIME. Six months (or more) is NOT uncommon in bigger brews.

BTW, for the next batch, consider carbonating on CO2 (in keg). It really is the only way to get carbonation closer to your time frame.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2013, 09:04 PM   #12
Camping57
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Ok, I'll give it some more time (another 2-3 months). I like my stouts to have a light carbonation, but I guess if worse comes to worse I can just chill these and drink them as is.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:05 PM   #13
jungatheart
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 133

I use lots more than 4 oz. priming sugar in mine because I wasn't getting the carbonation I wanted.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:10 AM   #14
RainyDay
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Im thinking its the 18oz of bourbon. That's the trade off you make when adding and whiskey to a beer. Couldn't hurt to add yeast/sugar, but with that much bourbon, I'm not at all surprised that its not carbing, and I'm not sure that the yeast/sugar will do much.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:56 AM   #15
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Good luck. I just poured a little more than a case worth of 13% stout into a keg to force carb and rebottle. I brewed it two years ago almost. It sat in bottles for a year and it never developed carb. So i sanitized, purged and ran constant CO2 into the keg and dumped the bottles into a CO2 blanket. Its sitting at room temp at 20psi now.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Quick Reply