Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Rinse or no rinse

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
DangerDad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Rinse or no rinse

I was watching a you tube video and this guy rinsed His no rinse sanitation I believe it was star San any feelings about this

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
Felixio
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 41

If I had a nickel for every time that I've read how rinsing star san can introduce contaminates, then I'd have a free AG setup by now.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Some people still smoke and have sex with hookers without condoms, it doesn't mean they're right ....No rinse means no rinse for a reason....So you're either going to believe all the science that went into to making them no-rinse and using them the way they're meant to be used, the most effective way. Or you're going to play Russian roulette with your beer.

I put a lot of good info and tips of effectively using sanitizers in here. Including a podcast by the creator of starsan, and one by a rep from iodophor talking about that and more-http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sanitizer-question-54932/

If you're rinsing it away, you're cutting it's efficacy in half, see no rinse santizers first kill whatever's on the object AND while still wet, CONTINUE to kill anything that comes in contact with the sanitizer....if you rinse it away, you're only getting HALF the kill power that you would have had you left it on there....Seems a no brainer to me, you leave it on and it still continues to do it's job....but some folks ARE idiots, actually.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

People Like This 
Old 12-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
aubiecat
Blake Owen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Don't know why people rinse a "no rinse" sanitizer.

Revvy Likes This 
Old 12-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
DangerDad
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
Some people still smoke and have sex with hookers without condoms, it doesn't mean they're right ....No rinse means no rinse for a reason....So you're either going to believe all the science that went into to making them no-rinse and using them the way they're meant to be used, the most effective way. Or you're going to play Russian roulette with your beer.

I put a lot of good info and tips of effectively using sanitizers in here. Including a podcast by the creator of starsan, and one by a rep from iodophor talking about that and more-http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sanitizer-question-54932/

If you're rinsing it away, you're cutting it's efficacy in half, see no rinse santizers first kill whatever's on the object AND while still wet, CONTINUE to kill anything that comes in contact with the sanitizer....if you rinse it away, you're only getting HALF the kill power that you would have had you left it on there....Seems a no brainer to me, you leave it on and it still continues to do it's job....but some folks ARE idiots, actually.

That's what I was thinking that's why I asked heading to your website now cheers all

Old 12-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
Psych
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Meh I occasionally will rinse out my starsan from a keg if it got too foamy in there. Otherwise if I'm going to be filling it as full as it'll go, I won't know when to stop (pre gas diptube) as the foamies get in the way.

And then there was the time that I accidentally left some starsan in a bottle (like 6-8 pumps from my mister bottle, a skim on the bottom really) and had a nasty metallic taste to the beer in that bottle. Granted, it was older starsan that may have collected some crap in it...

If you rinse right before putting something in it you're not loosing anything really, as the liquid going in would rinse it away anyways. I'm still alive at least...

Old 12-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #7
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1926 Times on 1694 Posts
Likes Given: 1428

Then again,maybe not. No rinse means no rinse. Period. I trust five star chemical's product knowledge. They make the stuff & using it as intended has been A number one so far. Never had an infected batch.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #8
aubiecat
Blake Owen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

edit

Blake
Electric BIAB Build | BIAB Mesh False Bottom | Controller/Fermentation Chest

Old 12-27-2012, 03:16 PM   #9
aubiecat
Blake Owen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych View Post
If you rinse right before putting something in it you're not loosing anything really, as the liquid going in would rinse it away anyways. I'm still alive at least...
Why even use Star San if you won't follow the directions?
There are a lot of new and impressionable brewers this time of year that need good advice. Not following the directions of a sanitizer and then getting an infection on the first or second batch could be pretty discouraging to a new brewer.
We should always be vigilant in sanitizing practices.

Blake
Electric BIAB Build | BIAB Mesh False Bottom | Controller/Fermentation Chest

Old 12-27-2012, 04:27 PM   #10
Psych
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubiecat View Post
Why even use Star San if you won't follow the directions?
There are a lot of new and impressionable brewers this time of year that need good advice. Not following the directions of a sanitizer and then getting an infection on the first or second batch could be pretty discouraging to a new brewer.
We should always be vigilant in sanitizing practices.
Agreed, but think about it: I fill a vessel with star san, foam foam, sure thing all good. In one case, I may then rinse that out quickly with water to get some visibility instead of 4 inches of foam. In another case I may put beer into it, also rinsing it away.

The only difference here - assuming my tap and water supply do not contain coodies, which they do not - is the time difference between the water rinse and when I add my beer. Maybe a minute or two.

When I first joined here there was a lot of hard and fast rules that I thought I had to follow when making beer and I now see that most of those are simply one way to do it.

The only hard and fast rule is yeast must eat for us to drink

Donor Fridge Fermentation Chamber

Quick Reply