Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Is this right Re: Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2007, 04:14 PM   #11
Mutine Bullfrog
Bullfrog Brewers
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

This is from the brewers Bible

"...porter is a full-bodied, dark ale accentuating crystal, black, and roasted malts and medium to high hop bitterness." "Porter gave rise to an even stronger and heavier ale called stout porter which eventually was shortened to stout." "... Stout as we know it today, originated from a porter of high gravity... a full-bodied, black beer made from english or scottish malts that is low in hop flavor and aroma but high or low in hop bitterness..."

PRIMARY: BFB Imperial IPA
SECONDARY:
DRINKING: BFB American Hefe, BFB Pale Ale, BFB IPA
Up Next:
BFB Oatmeal Stout, BFB Pale Ale, BFB IPA, BFB American Hefe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2007, 03:31 AM   #12
feedthebear
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

In The Classic Beer Series: Stouts by Michael Lewis:

Stouts origin: It referred to a strong Porter. Porters being a brown beer that was brewed from the entire grain butt.

Modern defintion of stout: a black beer called a stout.

Quote:
The concept of beer styles also provides brewers, or more correctly marketers of beers, with a rich lode of assumptions, opinions, stereotypes, and assertions to draw upon. When selling beer, these style-words can be used to send the purchaser useful signals about the contents of the bottle, playing not to consumers' knowledge necessarily, but to their assumptions. In the real world of brewing science, however, the concept of beer styles quickly breaks down to an irrelevancy because beers with certain lables from certain regions and even certain breweries rarely fit the stereotypes the beer stylist dictates.
Drinking: Cab.Sav/Merlot Wine, Grand Cru, Hazelnut Stout #3, Ordinary Bitter

Old 03-16-2007, 03:58 AM   #13
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 566 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 201

I had back-to-back recipes of a basic Irish Stout and an English Porter.

Taste...similar, but the porter was a tad sweeter and creamier. It also pleased more of my friends with the slightly less bitter (no roasted barley) taste.

The stout was 4.6% and the Porter was 6.6%.

I think that porters have a little more leeway in terms of ingredients.

Quick Reply