Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Revisiting My Classics

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2010, 03:11 AM   #1
Torchiest
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Revisiting My Classics

I decided to go back and sample some of my very first beers, ones that I brewed back in late 2006, when I first joined this forum. I think some will be awful, but some will be awesome, and I just want to put up some reviews for the heck of it.

#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried
Revvy Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2010, 03:14 AM   #2
greencoat
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Awesome. I just brewed my 8th batch, and have made sure to keep at least one bottle from each previous batch for a retrospective tasting in the future. I'm excited to read your reviews.

[/awesome]

Old 02-02-2010, 03:16 AM   #3
dunnright00
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I wish I still had some of my first beers. About 6 months ago I found one that was probably about 10 years old. An extra pale ale that was definitely not "fresh", but still quite drinkable.

"I'm sittin' here, completely surrounded by No Beer!" - Onslow

Old 02-02-2010, 03:18 AM   #4
Torchiest

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

#001 Ascension Ale (mild)
Brewed: 10-07-06
Bottled: 10-18-06

Big pfft when I opened the bottle, pours a very clear pale amber with a solid, rocky head that refuses to go away.

Smells sweet, malty, no real hops, perhaps some sourness in the aroma.

Easy drinking, moderately malty, basic hop content that seems to have hung in there over the years. The flavor is actually still very similar to what it was like when I first had it, and I was transported back in time, which was cool. About as simple as a beer can be; nothing wrong with it.

Very light-bodied, and just disappears without a trace after swallowing.

Overall, nothing great, but very drinkable for my first brew ever. I call it a success.

Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

Old 02-02-2010, 03:30 AM   #5
Torchiest

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

#002 Black Helicopter Porter
Brewed: 10-21-06
Bottled: 11-01-06

Pours very dark, rich brown, with a thin little line of fizzy beige foam on the top. The head is lingering though.

The aroma is really soft, sweet, almost port-like. Definitely some wine character to it.

Flavor is also soft and sweet (and sour) up front, immediately shoved aside by a nice roast component. I'm a bit surprised at how robust this one tastes. There is definitely a lot of chocolate kicking around in there, which was the intent, since I used cocoa during the brew session. The finish is roasty too, but with more coffee in it, and that coffee rides into the aftertaste, although a touch of sourness comes back there as well.

It's funny how different this is from the first beer. A lot more body, and a lot creamier. Porters are one of my all-time favorite styles, and this really came out as a solid representative of the type. I remember really liking this a lot more than the first batch, and I still do.

Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

Old 02-02-2010, 03:35 AM   #6
mordantly
Recipes 

Location: Westside..... CenCal - the country that'll never take away my guns or money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

damn! the longest i kept bottles was my last RIS. i had two.. for 6 mos and 12 mos. well i drank one since there was two left. then i gave my neighbor the last one. i gotta start using my newly aquired grolsch bottles to "archive" batches.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:57 AM   #7
Torchiest

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

#003 Donner & Blitzkrieg (Christmas Ale)
Brewed: 11-04-06
Bottled: 11-15-06

Pours a nice mahogany, very bubbly, another thin beige head, but this one actually dissipates pretty quickly, like a soda would.

Extremely spicy, just like I remember it. Cinnamon, clove, cardamon, nutmeg, and ginger, all fighting for my attention. I can't get any actual beer smells beyond all the spice I added.

Tastes exactly like it smells: potpourri. I definitely went a little overboard on some of the spices on this first go 'round, and I still have yet to quite master the difficult art of properly spicing my Christmas ale, although my 2009 batch was definitely the best yet. This one is pretty clumsily executed, relatively speaking, but I knew at the time I was being pretty bold in my style choice.

Slightly soft, again, tending to a heavier mouthfeel, with low to medium carbonation. Clears off the palate just fine.

Overall, this beer was interesting, but not great. It's the first of my old beers that I really don't feel like finishing. But it's an evolving experiment, and it is fun to keep working at the recipe.

Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

Old 02-02-2010, 04:22 AM   #8
Torchiest

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

#004 Nuclear Winter Stout (Oatmeal Stout)

Brewed: 11-18-06
Bottled: 12-03-06

Pours very opaque and black. Solid thick tan head of foam, only about half an inch tall, but slowly compressing rather than fading away.

Nice aroma, but hard to place what exactly I'm smelling. I think it's like a caramel, chocolate kinda thing, but there's perhaps an earthy hop component as well.

Roasty and grainy flavors dominating this one, with nice mild bitterness throughout. A touch of sourness in the finish, but the roastiness comes back in the aftertaste.

A rich, creamy texture makes this a pleasure to quaff. I credit that to the oatmeal, which I've used every time I make a stout. It's almost like having a nitrogen tap in the bottle.

Overall, this probably the best of the old beers I've tried so far. Tasting how well it stood up over the years encourages me to make this recipe again. I did get a lot of compliments at the time, and revisiting it, I can appreciate why. It's the most legit of my early brews, and probably a good one to stop on for the night.

Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

Old 02-03-2010, 02:12 AM   #9
Torchiest

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

#005 Ascension Ale 2.0 (Belgian Dubbel)

Brewed: 12-06-06
Bottled: 12-18-06

Poured into a Belgian goblet, it's a ruddy maroon with a thin ring of bubbles that disappeared immediately.

Sweet, malty, and very fruity nose.

Taste in line with the aroma. Sweet and malty, very little bitterness, no hop character. There is a yeasty component which isn't unpleasant, and a tiny hint of sourness woven throughout, as with the others.

With relatively light carbonation, this is a bit syrupy. Still, it doesn't linger in a sticky way, and is pretty clean for an old Belgian.

I'm digging it quite a bit. It has improved with age, but some of the original issues are still present. I remember this fermented at a pretty high temp, around 76ºF, so the esters are fairly dominant. I named this one Ascension Ale 2.0 because it was the recipe I originally intended to make, but goofed up, with my first brew.

Still, I can't complain too much, as I'm now four for five on old school beers still tasting good after all these years.

Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

Old 02-03-2010, 02:38 AM   #10
Torchiest

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

#006 Black Helicopter Porter

Brewed: 12-27-06
Bottled: 01-17-07

This was my second attempt at a porter. I remember that I beefed up the recipe to make it heartier. I think the batch got infected way back when, so I'm concerned about how it will taste.

It pours quite black, almost opaque, smells more like a stout than the original. Some bubbles, but no head to speak of.

Smells rich, sweet, chocolatey, almost cloying.

Incredibly sour, although the roast and chocolate make a brief appearance before vanishing again. It's just awful. Definitely infected and nasty now.

Uh, seemed like an okay body to it, average to low carbonation. Couldn't really check that out too much since it was basically undrinkable.

I dumped it after the first two or three sips.

Oh well. I knew this one was probably bad, so no big loss.

Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

Quick Reply