Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Results from first comp... feeling frustrated, confused

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2011, 09:02 PM   #21
mklawz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It can be frustrating to enter what you think is a good beer, only to get a bad score and/or negative feedback. It happens to everyone, even to those who win a lot. Yesterday I got my best score ever, and my worst score ever.

Comps aren't for everyone. Some people take it a little too personal, and get all salty about being snubbed. I, for one, enjoy the camaradery and passive nature of competing in a homebrew comp.

Try to have fun with it. You'll get your high-scores (and awards) eventually.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2011, 09:08 PM   #22
ErieShores
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Beer judging is so subjective. If you had ten different panels, you would gave ten different scores.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:25 PM   #23
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklawz View Post
It can be frustrating to enter what you think is a good beer, only to get a bad score and/or negative feedback. It happens to everyone, even to those who win a lot. Yesterday I got my best score ever, and my worst score ever.

Comps aren't for everyone. Some people take it a little too personal, and get all salty about being snubbed. I, for one, enjoy the camaradery and passive nature of competing in a homebrew comp.

Yes comps aren't for everyone.

To the op;
But look at the anticipation you had before receiving the results. Sure you probably were a little disappointed a with the scores, but a score in the high thirtys is IMO a really good score, and the feedback could have been more detailed with advise from the judges, but that's the nature of a large comp where time and volume of entries play havoc with the judging.
I have only began to start winning medals in comps but my scores have gone up and the judges comments are always something I look forward to when my score cards arrive.

Oxydation issues could be from not decanting the starter spent wort which could be oxydized.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 03-13-2011, 09:36 PM   #24
BmillaTheBrewzilla
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklawz View Post

I just really want to emphasize that in no way did I feel disappointed in the results or that the judging wasn't fair or anything like that. I had a GREAT time and was very impressed with the way the whole thing was run. It was a huge competition, but very well organized. There was even an amber ale being run through a randall full of centennial hops! It KICKED A$$.

I am just looking for ways to make my beer better, and (as I knew you would) you HBTers are looking at the comments the judging gave me and giving me more things to think about than I was coming up with on my own. Seriously- I love this forum. And thank you to everyone who is giving me helpful advice. And experienced perspective on competitions

Old 03-13-2011, 09:41 PM   #25
SC_Ryan
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I agree with Yoop, it seems that fermentation seems to be the recurring "issue". I think that's something you can take away if you were looking for something to hone in your process. Like Yoop said, your starters may not indeed be big enough. The age of the yeast has a lot to do with it's viability, so the size of your starter can very greatly depending on the age of your yeast. This is a great calculator to help you determine the proper size yeast starter.

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Notice the production date and drop down where you can select between a "simple starter", "continuous airation" etc. Those are important features. If you get a stir plate you can actually propagate more yeast with the same size starter. I would use that calculator to determine whether you are indeed making big enough starters.

The other thing you may want to address is aeration. How are you aerating your wort? Most esters are produced during the aerobic growth phase for the yeast, and that is the phase where oxygen is important for yeast growth. Even with proper pitch rates you can stress your yeast during the propagation phase if there is insufficient O2 in solution... fruity esters!

Hope this helps! Congrats on getting good scores on your beers!

Old 03-13-2011, 09:45 PM   #26
SC_Ryan
Recipes 

Oh, one more tip. If you want to be able to brew a more estery (is that even a word?) beer, like a Belgian, pick up an inexpensive aquarium heater and throw it in your swamp cooler. You can hold the temps anywhere between 70-80* with most aquarium heaters.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:54 PM   #27
BmillaTheBrewzilla
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_Ryan View Post
How are you aerating your wort?
I'm not

Okay- well, I do run my wort through a big strainer before it goes into my fermenter. That seems to froth it up quite a bit. Then I stir for a few minutes with big sanitized spoon before I pitch the yeast. I have read (somewhere, probably on HBT) that running through a strainer can increase the oxygen in the wort quite a bit. That said- I know I should do something more. What do you recommend? I know a lot of people use oxygen stones... I've also read and heard on Brewing Network that sometimes people OVER oxygenate their wort.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:57 PM   #28
BmillaTheBrewzilla
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_Ryan View Post
Oh, one more tip. If you want to be able to brew a more estery (is that even a word?) beer, like a Belgian, pick up an inexpensive aquarium heater and throw it in your swamp cooler. You can hold the temps anywhere between 70-80* with most aquarium heaters.
Done and done. The heater is how I raised the temp when I was fermenting that belgian. It worked great- my apartment was very cold during the winter... and the heater took it up from 65 to 72-74 with no problem.

Great suggestions - thanks!

Old 03-13-2011, 10:01 PM   #29
SC_Ryan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmillaTheBrewzilla View Post
I'm not

Okay- well, I do run my wort through a big strainer before it goes into my fermenter. That seems to froth it up quite a bit. Then I stir for a few minutes with big sanitized spoon before I pitch the yeast. I have read (somewhere, probably on HBT) that running through a strainer can increase the oxygen in the wort quite a bit. That said- I know I should do something more. What do you recommend? I know a lot of people use oxygen stones... I've also read and heard on Brewing Network that sometimes people OVER oxygenate their wort.
I would bet a home brew that lack of aeration is what is giving you your fruity esters. Running the wort through a strainer then stirring is certainly better than nothing but it's probably not enough. An O2 tank with an air stone is what I use and it works great for me. If you ferment in a bucket, a paint stirring attachment on the end of a drill is a great cheap and easy solution. It is true that you can over-oxygenate but it's probably a lot harder to do than under-oxygenating.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:06 PM   #30
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmillaTheBrewzilla View Post
I'm not

. What do you recommend? I know a lot of people use oxygen stones... I've also read and heard on Brewing Network that sometimes people OVER oxygenate their wort.
I actually tried the olive oil method this weekend for the first time.
http://beeradvocate.com/forum/read/1239390

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Quick Reply