Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Request for advice from the experts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012, 11:08 PM   #21
bduane
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkeller12

Well it certainly isn't finished based on the kraeusan I am seeing. I went to take a gravity reading and this is what I found. So it is not pressure from the temperature change and definitely not finished.

I am new to brewing but am I right when I assume that because it fermented at such a high temp in the beginning the the yeast fell out and after it rested it is trying to finish the job? Can that be the case? Also, it is still out of the cooler and I feel it should go back in, show I cool it down now?
I would not put it back in the cooler, most of the fermentation is already done, meaning most of the yeast by-product flavors are already there, the little bit of fermentation you have left should not have a significant impact on flavor just for being on the warm side. Your initial warm fermentation might have created some off flavors, too late to worry about that though!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 11:58 PM   #22
JJL
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah no sense in wildly fluctuating the temps at this point. That may have been what slowed the fermentation in the first place.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:02 AM   #23
dkeller12
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Ok. I will leave it out as you are probably right, the damage from the initial fermentation temps have already done the damage. I am glad that it has started again.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:20 PM   #24
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Wow, strange that it is going so slow but def. if you have krausen, it's still going. The airlock is inconsequential. Co2 comes out of solution slowly, so the airlock can bubble whether or not there's active fermentation.

Leave it where it is and then leave it a couple days after stable FG is reached to potentially clean up some of the off flavors you might have received during the warm fermentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 10-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #25
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 309

From a few things I've read on this site when you cool yeast down they go dormant. That isn't to say that you have to cool them beyond their ideal temp range. Pretty much any drop in temp tells the yeast the jobs finished and they can go to sleep now. So when they were chugging along in the mid 70s, cooling the wort down to the mid 60s might have been enough to slow down their activity to a crawl. Now that they're warmed back up let them finish at the higher temp.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #26
dkeller12
Recipes 

Hey everyone, just wanted to update all that helped me with my fermentation issue. I bottled the IPA about 10 days ago and decided to put one in the fridge Friday to sample it on Sunday. Let me tell you, it was excellent. I guess this is a perfect example of how patience really pays off. Thanks to everyone that gave me advice on what to do with this one. If I could send some to all of you I would, however it is all mine. 😜

Old 11-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #27
justhops
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Patience is important with this hobby. Just out of curiosity, what was your FG?

Old 11-05-2012, 05:14 PM   #28
dkeller12
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justhops
Patience is important with this hobby. Just out of curiosity, what was your FG?
Got it down to 1.017.

Quick Reply