Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Renewed airlock activity after moving to fridge for cold crash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
wittmania
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Renewed airlock activity after moving to fridge for cold crash

I think I just need someone to tellme to RDWHAHB...

I have a copper ale that spent 21 days in the primary in the low 60s on US-05 and went from 1050 down to 1008 and had steady hydrometer readings for the last week or so. I moved it to my beer fridge yesterday to cold crash it at about 37 for the next week. When I moved it I set it down a bit hard (it slipped) and a bunch of CO2 shot out of the airlock. I didn't think much of it, except that it was still bubbling last night. Even this morning, at 41*, it is slowly bubbling (2 per minute?).

I *think* all that is happening is that I jostled the yeast cake good enough that it dislodged a bunch of CO2 from it and from the beer itself, and it's slowly working its way out of solution. Does anyone have any other theories on this that will set my mind at ease?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2011, 04:10 PM   #2
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

What you are probably seeing is the 'suck back' effect of cooling the container.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:25 PM   #3
wittmania
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

No, they are definitely going out not coming in.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:19 PM   #4
StophJS
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'm always a little skeptical when people talk about the benefits of cold crashing for 24 hours or whatever. I put a carboy of cider in the fridge for 24 hours to cold crash one time and it kept right on fermenting the whole time.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:25 PM   #5
wittmania
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StophJS View Post
I'm always a little skeptical when people talk about the benefits of cold crashing for 24 hours or whatever. I put a carboy of cider in the fridge for 24 hours to cold crash one time and it kept right on fermenting the whole time.
The point of cold crashing isn't to stop fermentation. In fact, if you're using it for that purpose you're really asking for trouble.

In my case, fermentation had stopped nearly a week prior, with consistent hydrometer readings at 1008. I cold crash to drop the yeast and other junk our of the beer, causing it to have better clarity and keeping my kegs easier to clean when they are empty.

So, I can't believe the bubbles are from fermentation since there's almost nothing left to ferment and I'm a good 20* below the bottom end for US-05.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:29 PM   #6
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 2

OP - With the renewed bubbling, what is your new fg? One thought - which would only explain initial gas out - is that there is some co2 in suspension and moving it could cause it to come out, however I think it would have stopped.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:29 PM   #7
bmick
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Jostling the carboy probably knocked some CO2 out of suspension (there is CO2 in suspension in the fermenter) and you're seeing it bubble out. It's fine, leave it in there for a few days (you don't need to cold crash a week) and bottle. To alleviate your concerns, take another hydro reading. I'd bet you're still at 1.008 (after you adjust for the low temp, of course).

Old 12-08-2011, 07:58 PM   #8
SouthBay
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

Rdwhahb

we blessed your skin
we blessed you with our mark
become a part of the klok
become a gear

Old 12-08-2011, 08:08 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You moved your fermenter, the beer has been sitting in stasis and you disturbed it. You kicked up the co2 sitting in the trub....

Usually in brewing the most commonsensical reasons are usually the truth.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-08-2011, 08:42 PM   #10
wittmania
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Revvy! I was hoping you might stop by. Thanks, everyone. I'll relax, not worry, and I'm off to go have a home brew.

Quick Reply