Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Removing chill haze from a chilled beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
Micycle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Removing chill haze from a chilled beer

I've got a barleywine that I figured would be cloudy from the start, but want to get fixed up if possible. When mashing, the false bottom got disconnected some how and I had to empty my mash tun and refit the false bottom right before sparging. I did a 120 minute boil to try to help, hit it with whirlfloc, got it chilled in about 10-15 min (I'm in houston, my ground water's barely below 80F) and then chillgard and geletin in the secondary. It was crystal clear going into the keg but now it looks like mud. So on to the questions:

Will a stupidly hazy beer eventually clear up when cold conditioned? I know it will fix most chill haze but this one's pretty bad. It's 11% and only a month old so it's got plenty of time for ageing if that's all the fix I need.

Can you remove part or all of the chill causing complex after it's been chilled? For instance, could I add polyclar/isinglass/chillgard to remove some of the proteins and polyphenols now or can that only be done before chilling?

Filtering's out of my price range right now and I'm not too interested in it on such a small scale anyways, but is there anything else that could help clear this thing up?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2009, 02:00 AM   #2
BargainFittings
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would let time do its job. Chill haze has always fallen out after awhile in my experience.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:02 AM   #3
frogfree
Recipes 

you can also try gelatin.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:57 AM   #4
wcarter1227
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

i had a red ale that just wouldnt clear no matter what i did. finally i just got sick of it so i left it in the fridge and cold conditioned it for about 2 months and to my suprise it cleared up. not saying thats the magic number but usualy a few weeks aound 34 degrees seems to do the trick.

primary:15 minute Cascade Pale Ale
Primary 2: Cream of 3 crops
Primary 3: Sam Adams Holiday Porter Clone
bottled:BM's Blue Balls Belgian Wit
15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale
DryHopped Cream of 3 Crops
http://hopville.com/brewer/wcarter1227

Old 10-26-2009, 10:22 AM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcarter1227 View Post
i had a red ale that just wouldnt clear no matter what i did. finally i just got sick of it so i left it in the fridge and cold conditioned it for about 2 months and to my suprise it cleared up. not saying thats the magic number but usualy a few weeks aound 34 degrees seems to do the trick.
It shouldn't be a surprise that it cleared up, that IS how you clear chill Haze, prolonged refrigeration you just leave it alone for a minimum of a week, but the longer you leave it in the better it will be.

Just like anything else in brewing TIME is the greatest asset.

An added benefit is the the sediment cake at the bottom will become more compact as well, and there will be less yeast to worry about in the pour.

I recently discovered a bottle that had been in the back of my fridge for at least 2 if not 3 months...I upended the bottle even and nothing came out from the bottom.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply