The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Reinheitsgebot double standard

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2013, 09:55 PM   #41
LAHammer
Beer makes me look good!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by retheisen View Post
alternate bittering agents like yarrow and marsh rosemary that induced psychedelic effects in the consumer.
Where can you get yarrow and marsh rosemary?
The mushrooms are clashing with the malt. This sound like a much better approach.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2013, 10:17 PM   #42
ICWiener
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Nowadays it is just a law for ingredients and beer brewed and sold on Germany still has to follow that law.
That is incorrect. If it were still the case, 3 out of 5 German beers on the shelf wouldn't be hefeweizens and kristallweizens becuase wheat was prohibited. Breweries nowdays put it on their labels primarily as a marketing tool.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:30 PM   #43
FarmerTed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICWiener View Post
That is incorrect. If it were still the case, 3 out of 5 German beers on the shelf wouldn't be hefeweizens and kristallweizens becuase wheat was prohibited. Breweries nowdays put it on their labels primarily as a marketing tool.
Yeah, but the laws are still pretty goofy, because wheat and rye beers can only be fermented with ale yeasts, and not lager yeasts. That is difficult to rationalize.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:46 PM   #44
erichsmith
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I must say I'm impressed with the response. I will also say that maybe I need to re-look at my view point. Give me that adjunct and let's brew beer.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:17 PM   #45
grafvonbarnez
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by erichsmith
I must say I'm impressed with the response. I will also say that maybe I need to re-look at my view point. Give me that adjunct and let's brew beer.
Strictly speaking, an adjunct is just an unmalted grain(?) used in the mash. A wheat beer made with malted wheat doesn't contain any adjuncts.

As far as "anti-adjunct" goes, I'd imagine the reason behind that thinking would be a matter of confusing taste with process. The big producers of tasteless American lager famously use a large proportion of (cheaper) adjuncts, but those beers are also meant to be mostly tasteless. Adjuncts need not diminish taste, and can add flavors and qualities that are otherwise unobtainable.

Old 09-28-2013, 03:42 AM   #46
ICWiener
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Strictly speaking, an adjunct is just an unmalted grain(?) used in the mash. A wheat beer made with malted wheat doesn't contain any adjuncts.
Not necessarily. Fruits, vegetables, sugars, spices, and flavor additives like spruce and wormwood are all adjuncts.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:52 AM   #47
grafvonbarnez
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICWiener
Not necessarily. Fruits, vegetables, sugars, spices, and flavor additives like spruce and wormwood are all adjuncts.
Thanks, I couldn't remember if it was restricted to grains or not. But still, you're making my point. Adjuncts are not bad.

Quick Reply