Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Refrigeration, flavor, and carbonation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2012, 01:19 AM   #1
MrSpiffy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default Refrigeration, flavor, and carbonation

Over the past couple of days, I've come to somewhat of an epiphany. And maybe this is a well-known thing, but I wasn't aware of it, as a new brewer.

By storing beer in a refrigerator, obviously it will get too cold, as the average home refrigerator not dedicated to beer is kept somewhere around 35°F-40°F. It's much too cold for server nearly all types of beer, and you don't get a lot of flavor when it's that cold. You also kill a lot of the carbonation in the beer because it's able to dissolve into the colder beer, which reduces head considerably. CO2 in warmer beer has a lowered capacity for dissolving into beer, which is why you get a louder hiss or foaming on warmer beers, but not on colder beers.

So, anyway... on to my point(s). I noticed that, even when I took my beers out and warmed them up a bit, they still didn't have that great of a flavor or carbonation to them. But when I popped a couple into the fridge for an hour to chill and then poured them, head was creamier and lasted longer, and there was a much better flavor to my beer.

Is this sort of a known fact? Just pop the brew into the fridge long enough to chill to temperature and then drink? Otherwise, how do you get your beer to proper serving temperature when storing in a fridge, if you don't have a dedicated beer fridge?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012, 01:31 AM   #2
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 446

an hour or so and the beer is around 50-55.

The Brits call it cellar temperature, Americans call it warm because of the fascination with ice cold beer

Old 04-22-2012, 01:57 AM   #3
MrSpiffy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Considering I never really drank BMC beers, I thoroughly enjoy the "warm" cellar temperature. It's perfect for drinking a homebrew or store-bought microbrew.

But my curiosity was more centered around the fact that warming a beer to cellar temp didn't taste as good as cooling one down to cellar temp. Perhaps it's because carbonation hasn't settled down dissolving in/out of solution, and holding at cellar temp for a little while would get a good result. I just thought it was interesting.

Quick Reply